Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys... Maybe someone can give me an idea of what might be causing this. My 87 GT with 108K on her. Bone stock. When the car idles, a high pitch, metalic chirping sound can be heard coming from the back of the engine. More so, on the drivers side, rear of the valve cover. You can definitely hear it on the video. See link. The oil is 10w40 and fresh, oil pressure is fine at idle, and when driving around. No leaks or anything. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what this can be? Is it a sign of an oiling problem?? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

YouTube - 1987 5.0 - Engine chirping sound when at idle

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
I can hear it. Are you sure it's not a pulley on the front? It's a rhythmic sound. Wish you would have pushed the throttle cable to see if it sped up. It sounds friction/contact based. Break out the long extension, cup your hand around the top so your ear is covered, and start putting the other end against metal parts until you find the one thats drives that sound louder into your head. Basically a cheap stethoscope.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Like Snake Pliskin said, your sure its not the front? Sound can travel, what I would do is pull the belt off and see if that noise goes away, unless of course you tried that already..

·
Registered
154 Posts
Is it a throw out bearing? It seems louder at the back of the motor. Does the sound change if you push in the clutch?

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Is it a throw out bearing? It seems louder at the back of the motor. Does the sound change if you push in the clutch?
That could be it. You said bone stock but is there a chance it has a Centerforce dual Friction stage III clutch? I've had those in two rides. They lock to the flywheel like pitbulls but chirp like crickets. Try pushing in the clutch and see if it stops.

·
Registered
224 Posts
definitely a throw out bearing my 92 has been doing that for 2 years but mine is louder drive the it like no tomorrow the 5.0s are reallly bad about that

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
I too say throwout bearing.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Guys... Thank you for the suggestions.... Well, I started the car back up, and gave it a try. I depressed the clutch ever so slightly with my toe, and the squeeking/chirping goes away. It takes a very gentile touch, and literary depressing the clutch pedal just a milimeter or two does the trick. Noise stops,..period. But comes back once the pressure from the clutch pedal is released. So.. Should I worry about it, or just live with it? Does not seem to cause any problems, except for the chirp at idle....

·
Registered
154 Posts
My friends 88 did that and we were able to fix it. You can actually spray some lube on the T/O Bearing if you take the dust cover off (if it's still there even) and get it to stop. Do you have an adjustable cable? If there's a lot of slop try adjusting the cable as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.