Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive found the loud whining noise thats been pissing me off. its a vacuum leak in the brake booster. everytime i hit the brakes it goes away. my question is, im buying a brake booster this weekend but i want to upgrade to discs in the rear, what brake booster should i get? is there a more powerful one from a different car that will fit and already be installed for when i get the money to do the rear discs (about 5 or 6 months). im going to get one brand new so i just need the make model and year of car so i can tell the guy at the autoparts store.
by the way i have an 87 mustang gt (already 5 lug)

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I'm using the stock booster with my disc brakes. The pedal is a little on the hard side, but I'm used to it and the car stops well. Part of that may be the stainless braided hoses I'm using also.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I think you can also use the 93 Cobra (its an upgrade) which I believe is the same as Lincoln booster.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I think you can also use the 93 Cobra (its an upgrade) which I believe is the same as Lincoln booster.
I believe that is also the one that comes in the M-2300-K kit, which supposedly involves some beating on the strut tower to install.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I believe that is also the one that comes in the M-2300-K kit, which supposedly involves some beating on the strut tower to install.
I read that if you make the hole longer by 1 inch down you dont have to beat anything.

I read that if you make the hole longer by 1 inch down you dont have to beat anything.
Ok, I dont think that made sense....lol The hole that the brake booster goes in you need to make longer to the bottom of the car by 1 inch. and the new booster should slide right in

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i dont really see what hole your talking about, ive never had my brake booster off so im not familiar with what everything looks like. could you give a little better detail, like the steps i would have to go through during installation/modification.

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
Hope he comes back and tells you.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I think he's refering to the hole the pushrod goes through in the firewall that the brake pedal attaches to. The bolt holes for attaching the booster to the firewall may need to be enlongated also.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts

Ok, I dont think that made sense....lol The hole that the brake booster goes in you need to make longer to the bottom of the car by 1 inch. and the new booster should slide right in
You were reading about the SN95 Boosters as the 4 Studs are not the Same Pattern as the Fox and you have to elongate a couple holes to slip it in. I used the 93 Cobra Booster in my 92, it really wasnt "that" bad to install, just need to take your time and quit if you get aggrivated

·
Registered
842 Posts
i dont really see what hole your talking about, ive never had my brake booster off so im not familiar with what everything looks like. could you give a little better detail, like the steps i would have to go through during installation/modification.
I believe its the hold that the push rod comes through. I read it a while ago maybe on another forum. I have never done it, but I am sure someone on here has, and without beating on the strut tower. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
842 Posts
You were reading about the SN95 Boosters as the 4 Studs are not the Same Pattern as the Fox and you have to elongate a couple holes to slip it in. I used the 93 Cobra Booster in my 92, it really wasnt "that" bad to install, just need to take your time and quit if you get aggrivated
Did you elongate any holes?

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i think im goin with the 93 cobra booster, its only 20$ more than stock and 30$ less than an sn95 at the local autozone. i guess i have to buy the matching master cylinder right?

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
Did you elongate any holes?
You do not need to mess with the Center Hole as it is plenty large enough! The SN95 Stud Pattern is different so it is best to make a template and then elongate the holes to get it to fit in. With my 93 Cobra Booster I did use my Dremel to slightly open up one hole and it slipped right in.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thats fine, i have a dremel tool i got for xmas that needs to be broken in.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
thats fine, i have a dremel tool i got for xmas that needs to be broken in.
You can see that I did very minor elongating of the top hole. To be honest with you the hardest part is getting the top 2 Nuts off under the dash, if you just take your time and move everything out of the way then its really not that bad. I have seen where guys are in a serious rush and will start cutting the studs, I do not recommend that though. Good Luck with your project!

Attachments

·
Registered
842 Posts
You can see that I did very minor elongating of the top hole. To be honest with you the hardest part is getting the top 2 Nuts off under the dash, if you just take your time and move everything out of the way then its really not that bad. I have seen where guys are in a serious rush and will start cutting the studs, I do not recommend that though. Good Luck with your project!
Nice good photo, thanks...maybe I will need that in the future..lol

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.