Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 1987 Mustang GT just after thanksgiving of 2008. when we looked at it we realized that the power locks did not work. although i really dont care if they work or not, i cant help but think about trying to figure out the problem and fixing them. has this problem ever occured with someone else? how did you fix it?

G

·
im still working on the same problem on my 89 ive replaced fuses swapped switches i think these years had a problem with losing connection in the door jams i just have had time to tear into it yet you may want to just start from the button and work your way into the car after checking fuses first

·
Registered
29 Posts
Do you hear the lock click when you push the button? If you do then all you probably have to do is re-connect the rod to the actuator. If you don't hear it then all you've got to do is replace the actuator or check the connections, not too hard. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
67 Posts
If you don't hear a click in the switch that's probably the issue. The contacts can be cleaned inside the switch and it will work like new. If the locks haven't been used in a while the actuators could be stuck and will need replaced. I would star with the switches!

·
Banned
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
im bringing back my old thread...

the issue here still has not been resolved, but ive found a few other issues. i took my door panels off and for some reason, the driver side door lock actuator is missing. the passenger side one is there and the wires are all plugged in, but the door locks still do not work...

is it possible that because the driver side actuator is missing and not plugged in, that the passenger side would not work also?

·
Registered
547 Posts
no the passenger side actuator should still work. heres a thought that came to my mind. when i replaced my starter solenoid (on the drivers side inner fender) i mixed up the wires and i connected one wire on the wrong post of the starter solenoid and at about the same time i cut out the alarm. then when i had the car back running the locks didnt work. for about a year when i got bored i tried to find the problem thinking the problem was the alarm, eventually i gave up and then while on the internet one day i came across a starter solenoid install thread i looked at it and the pics and then immediately went and switched back my wiring and all of a sudden my locks were working again.

its amazing how hooking up a wire to the right place can make stuff work :winks

·
Banned
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
when i replaced my starter solenoid (on the drivers side inner fender) i mixed up the wires and i connected one wire on the wrong post of the starter solenoid
ill have to look into that...

im thinking maybe the passenger side actuator is bad also...

im gonna try to order two new ones sometime this week an rule that out as the problem...

any other ideas? i really want to get this issue fixed, its been bugging me since i bought the car...

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Have you checked to see if you're getting power to the switch, could be the circuit breaker is bad?

The circuit breaker is the small metal looking can of your solenoid.

·
Banned
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Have you checked to see if you're getting power to the switch, could be the circuit breaker is bad?
that sounds like it could be the issue. im going to check into that tonight and hopefully buy a new one along with the new actuators...

thanks a lot man, i owe ya again:bigthumbsup

edit: this is the only circuit breaker i can find sofar...
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/LRS-14526A/1979-93-Mustang-6-Amp-Winshield-Circuit-Breaker

any idea where i can get the one you are talking about?...

·
Registered
310 Posts
79-93 Fox Mustang Door Lock Actuator Replacement - LRS Blog - Read Here Shop Here

This article may be useful to you. Chances are the actuator itself just went bad. Although, when I replaced my door latch and window motor last summer, it did some screwy stuff when I had the passenger side button set plugged in and not the drivers. I can't remember if it was the windows that didn't work right, or the locks, idk. If your replacing both of the actuators anyway, you won't have to worry about it :bigthumbsup

Also, it sounds dumb, but make SURE you have the actuator rod into the latch! When I changed my latch, I never put the actuator rod back into it and now when you push the unlock button, my drivers side unlocks fine but the passengers side actuator just makes a screaming loud noise because its not hooked up to anything and the rod just spins round and round :rollgrin:

·
Banned
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks bt...ill look into that also...

and thanks for that link almost stk...

alrite, so when my doors go back on im going to change both actuators and change the circuit breaker...

if neither of the above corrects the issue, ill bring the thread back up...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts