Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, im just want to do h/c/i in my 87 mustang gt Im planing in a set of AFR 165 heads and a trickflow intake or edelbrock rpm intake but im not decide yet in the cam because in the afr.com says small cams are very good with afr heads so, i maybe thinking in a b303 cause i want the more torque gains, im use my car only in weekends and only race my car in a 1/4 mile and my car is only good up to 5500 rpm because is a 302 and my mods are:
-cai
-msd 6al
-bbk shorty headers
-bbk h pipe with flowmasters
-100 shot wet nitrous
-accel coil
-65mm throlle body and spacer

HOW MUCH POWER CAN I GET WITH THE H/C/I?
my car still speed density, but is very fast rven if is not a maf and i want to keep like this....

im just race with a 01 cobra 1-4 mile and i beat him fos 1 car also race with a 08 mustang gt an win by 6 cars.....

YouTube - ‪01 COBRA VS 93 COBRA‬‏

YouTube - ‪08 MUSTANG GT VS 5.0 MUSTANG‬‏

·
Registered
561 Posts
if you are speed density then you will not have alot of luck with a cam and heads the speed density will not adjust to these changes well if at all , yo get any use from these swaps you will need to convert it to mass air or have it custom burned or it will run like swamp ass

·
Registered
561 Posts
why is the 1st video saying 93 cobra , the 87 gt is way different than a 93 cobra dude get mass air and race on tracks for a change otherwise i hope your car does run like crap strike my first comment and do all the swaps with speed density

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
why is the 1st video saying 93 cobra , the 87 gt is way different than a 93 cobra dude get mass air and race on tracks for a change otherwise i hope your car does run like crap strike my first comment and do all the swaps with speed density
mmmmmmmmmm, yeah maybe should consider get a maf before my swaps but, i foud a video on youtube is 5.0 speed density with trick flow intake gt409 heads and 270 comp cam and make 277rwhp and 295 of torque and is a speed density and no ship either?
he say only have a idle problems but just put idle at 1100 rpm and done, now, my cuestion is if only with a maf can get power out of h/c/i why this guy take all this power whit this setup.... a stock speed density is about 180-190 rwhp is a huge diference 90hp dont you think, and maybe my car run like a crap now but is enough to beta a 01 cobra with 225 50 15 tire hahaha imagine what i can do with my news 285 35 18 tires..... by the way there not tracs in my city or close to my city....

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
you don't need to go MAF, just run the stock cam and 1.7 rockers with your other parts and your car will scream. I'm sill SD with my mods but I have to run a catted H to keep the smell at idle in check due to only having 17" of vacuum at idle.

·
Banned
4,476 Posts
OK, people on here do not seem to have a clue about speed density. Speed density is a form of controling the air/fuel mixture by pre-set codes in the computer. YOU CAN MANIPULATE THEM WITHOUT A CHIP!

Speed density was the first form of air management for the multiport EFI Mustangs. It was used into the 90's in trucks and non-H.O. 5.0's, such as Lincolns and T-Birds. For the Mustang, it was used in all 5.0's in 1986, 1987 and all 88's except for the ones sold in California.

All and all, you can do anything that you want to do to a speed density car except for a large cam. Speed density requires vacuum, at least 19 inch pounds. Stock 5.0L HO cam's advertised specs are 266°/266° duration, 0.444"/0.444" lift, Iskidarian makes a cam that works well that is 252°/257° duration and .465"/.480" lift. The reason why the cam works well is that the lobe center is 112°, good for vacuum.

I had a speed density 1986 5.0 with a 65mm Accufab throttle body, a REAL Ford Cobra intake, GT40 Y heads, the cam listed above, equal length headers, a custom X-Pipe and Dynomax Ultra Flow mufflers. My fuel system is a Walboro 155 lph pump, an Accufab adjustible fuel preasure regulator and FRPP 24 pound injectors.

The trick to running speed density is to have a cam the produces enough vacuum, and to adjust the fuel and air flow correctly. As you increase the air, you will have to increase the fuel in equal ratios to stay within the factory programming. Some will tell you that this is not possible, but it is. The best thing to do is to work with a shop that has a dyno and can read air/fuel exhaust ratios. I daily drove my 86 with this combo for over 80,000 miles without issue.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, people on here do not seem to have a clue about speed density. Speed density is a form of controling the air/fuel mixture by pre-set codes in the computer. YOU CAN MANIPULATE THEM WITHOUT A CHIP!

Speed density was the first form of air management for the multiport EFI Mustangs. It was used into the 90's in trucks and non-H.O. 5.0's, such as Lincolns and T-Birds. For the Mustang, it was used in all 5.0's in 1986, 1987 and all 88's except for the ones sold in California.

All and all, you can do anything that you want to do to a speed density car except for a large cam. Speed density requires vacuum, at least 19 inch pounds. Stock 5.0L HO cam's advertised specs are 266°/266° duration, 0.444"/0.444" lift, Iskidarian makes a cam that works well that is 252°/257° duration and .465"/.480" lift. The reason why the cam works well is that the lobe center is 112°, good for vacuum.

I had a speed density 1986 5.0 with a 65mm Accufab throttle body, a REAL Ford Cobra intake, GT40 Y heads, the cam listed above, equal length headers, a custom X-Pipe and Dynomax Ultra Flow mufflers. My fuel system is a Walboro 155 lph pump, an Accufab adjustible fuel preasure regulator and FRPP 24 pound injectors.

The trick to running speed density is to have a cam the produces enough vacuum, and to adjust the fuel and air flow correctly. As you increase the air, you will have to increase the fuel in equal ratios to stay within the factory programming. Some will tell you that this is not possible, but it is. The best thing to do is to work with a shop that has a dyno and can read air/fuel exhaust ratios. I daily drove my 86 with this combo for over 80,000 miles without issue.
yes.... thas what I want to know thanks very much my friend just one more cuestion can i put the afr 165 heads an b303 cam? or is to large and just put a e303 that works very well too...

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
yes, you can put AFR heads on it but none of the Ford letter cams will play well with the SD computer. My Crower 15511 cam (218/224 114 lsa in @ `110 ICL) is on the edge of campatability but it works.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yes, you can put AFR heads on it but none of the Ford letter cams will play well with the SD computer. My Crower 15511 cam (218/224 114 lsa in @ `110 ICL) is on the edge of campatability but it works.
ok, im watching the mods of your stang, how much power you got on your pony?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Isky cam part number

That Iskadarian CAM part number is 371252/257

Crane CAMS makes a similar CAM for Speed Density motors and is Part number 444211

Just a little FYI for those of us with Speed Density Motors who actually like them!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts