Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,I plan on doing a engine rebuild for my 87lx5.0 and have a few ?'s.I want a nice street car and want some good power but still be daily driven if I want to drive it.I was looking at some budget 347 stroker kits and was wondering if they are good to use or not.Do you have to do anything to the block for the stroker kit?It is going to take some time but I want a solid bottom end then the rest will follow behind.I was also just thinking about building a 306.I am on a budget so what is best for now?Thanks:headscratch:

·
Registered
576 Posts
a 347 isnt really a daily driven motor.. it can be but its not built for sitting in traffic or handling lots of miles, I think you should consider either a 306 or a 331, the 331 is just as popular as the 347 but is set up a little better for your kind of situation plus with the 331 you still have a stroker. With me it was difficult guessing what I might want to do with my car in the future even though I didnt have the money to do it now. I went with a forged kit incase i want to give it boost later. I started out wanting a 347 because who dosent want more hp but when you do research you'l find that the 347 was made for racing, even with easy driving over time the rings wear out much sooner than the 331. Now there are some guys tearing it up with a 347 in their street car but ask them how long they have had it, and how many miles and ill bet neither will be long. Thats why I went with a 306 with forged internals so later when I have the money I can make it faster than a 347, reliability and preformance...or so as far as I know

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
For a 347, the block pan rails have to be notched to clear the rod bolts due to the crank stroke. So do the bottom of the cylinder skirts. A 306 can make great power with the right combination of parts, so that choice is up to you. Should you entertain the idea of a 306, I have a DSS kit on ebay for sale.

·
Registered
842 Posts
a 347 isnt really a daily driven motor.. it can be but its not built for sitting in traffic or handling lots of miles, I think you should consider either a 306 or a 331, the 331 is just as popular as the 347 but is set up a little better for your kind of situation plus with the 331 you still have a stroker.
+1...someone that understands strokers...:) 150% in agreement with him. If you build a 306 or 331, a 331 is usually about $200 more then a 306.....about $1,500=306 $1,700-1,800=331

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
True about the price... unless you fine someone making a deal... :D

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to all.It is gonna be a while but I want to get some figures together.My car runs great now it just spits blue smoke when gettin on it hard.after it revs back down it stops,People look at me funny drivin their imports like haha it smokes until they get smoked!!LOL!would it be worth it just to pull it and hone it and install new rings and a oil pump just to freshin up until the new motor comes along or run it the way it is?thanks

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks to all.It is gonna be a while but I want to get some figures together.My car runs great now it just spits blue smoke when gettin on it hard.after it revs back down it stops,People look at me funny drivin their imports like haha it smokes until they get smoked!!LOL!would it be worth it just to pull it and hone it and install new rings and a oil pump just to freshin up until the new motor comes along or run it the way it is?thanks
id just save up your money and wait to pull the motor and when its out do it up nice :scratchchin

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the feedback.Everyone have a good weekend.

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
You can freshen it up if you're on a tight budget, or you could save a little longer and do it all the way while it's out. You'd do better doing it all the way, it'd actually save you from doing it again.

·
Registered
918 Posts
If you are going to rebuild the engine anyway, going to a stroker just makes sense. It's not that much more expensive and can yield impressive power gains.

As to 331 or 347, opinions vary about which is better. For what it's worth I'll bet there's a lot more 347's running around out there than 331's. Most people opt for the greater displacement.

In my opinion you'll never be sorry you went bigger. I went to a 393 instead of a 408 because the short block was a couple hundred dollars cheaper, but now I wish I'd have just gone with the 408 as a couple hundred ain't much when you look at the total cost.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.