Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just recently changed the oil on my recently bought 1987 Mustang LX. The previous owner told me to use 20/50 Racing and the only one I could find at autozone for 20/50 racing was Valvoline 20W-50 VR1 Racing Oil. Drained both parts of the oil down low, then put in 4 and 1/2 into the top till I got home and put the rest in to make 5 quarts. Now the tempeture reading is starting to fluctuate a lot, and sometimes goes to the red which is 270 degrees. I'm not sure if this is the actual reading or if the thermostat is acting up. Also, when I pop the hood after driving and receiving these high tempetures, I can hear a soft sound like air is leaking somewhere, like a pssstttt. Not sure if this is something I could have caused from the oil change or if this is a whole new problem all together. Any information you guys can give me would be great.
Thanks, Greg

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
I would be very surprised if it was related to changing the oil.

Why 20w-50?

·
Registered
9 Posts
would be very suprise if it were oil related ,but i would be checking your cooling system be for to much loner,the Pssssst noise is almost certainly water boiling.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think it might have something to do with the new catalytic converters i put on. First of all, the cats hang really low to the ground. Magnaflow part number 37338, multiple people have had trouble with this. Every speed bump and dip scrapes, so maybe a hole is forming in the exhaust pipe. Also, there is a hose that connects to the exhaust and it was sitting on the cats, causing it to melt and maybe it melted all the way through.

Anyone know the name of that hose? Could that be the cause?
Thanks
Greg

·
Registered
664 Posts
IMO... It your cooling system. I went with a Mishimoto aluminum 3core. Good price, awesome quality, fairly easy DIY installation. $129 at latemodelrestoration.com. The Ford racing is nice too but requires some modifications with the serpentine fan and fan shroud.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Is there any way to make sure that it is the cooling system that's down?
Well... Your temp gauge should not be pegged... What condition is the radiator and hoses in?.. Everything on my 92 was shot!.. If you drain your coolant and it is brown a mucky... Then I would say it's the cooling system.
Where is the psssssssstt sound you heard coming from??... Of it is towards the front, or on the passenger side top... Then my guess would be the rad. But I'm not a mechanic and don't want to give you bad info... But I did have a very similar issue... And .... Believe it or not... It occurred right after an oil change!.. So that is why i tried to help out.
BTW... I also installed a 180 degree thermostat... Figured I may as well while I had everything out. Also ran a bottle of water wetter at all times. My temp gauge NEVER goes above 180 now.

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
You can go to autozone or wherever you like and get a pressure gauge that goes onto your radiator and you can pump up the cooling system to simulate the pressure you have when the motor gets up to operating temp. After the system is pressurized if you have a problem it will show if you have a leak.

It could also be your temp sensor that might be going bad.

Now with the h pipe hanging low it is probably a broken hanger that needs to be welded. Check that out first before anything.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The pssstt sound is coming from the hoses or somewhere near the roses right in front and above the engine block and it looks like there is a little pool of water right there too maybe? It was kind of hard to see.

·
Registered
664 Posts
You can go to autozone or wherever you like and get a pressure gauge that goes onto your radiator and you can pump up the cooling system to simulate the pressure you have when the motor gets up to operating temp. After the system is pressurized if you have a problem it will show if you have a leak.

It could also be your temp sensor that might be going bad.

Now with the h pipe hanging low it is probably a broken hanger that needs to be welded. Check that out first before anything.
Smurf stang is right. I'm too much of a Neandrothal to think of that!?lol!... If it is up top.. When you pressurize the system like he said... You should have a better idea of what is going on.

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
And you can take it to any muffler shop and they can fix that low hanger in no time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Can some help with my problem please,when turning my switch to acc my ignition light also lights up ,as I understand it the radio should be connected to the long centre post and the ignition should not come in that position. All wires seem to be going into the switch in the correct place.is it possible to be a faulty ignition switch.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts