Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Iam building a 1987 LX hatch car using an 1983 capri longblock, 1986 V8 bellhousng, 1995 flywheel/king cobra clutch. the car is original V8 auto. when i purchased the car the only diff was a 1987 longblock. the org 1987 starter started the car fine, it stopped working so i replaced it with an oe from the parts store. thats when the problems started.. (no pun intended) the 87 motor spun, i replaced it via the 83 capri donar car. the capri wouldt start due to starter problems. turned out the the car had a 10 inch flywheel/ clutch. so i swaped in my flywheel etc. the motor wouldnt spin freely. then i was advised to try a 1995 starter, but it wouldnt touch the flywheel, i took it back and got another 87 starter, and the motor would turn quickly but was still grinding, the motor fired and i began to let it warm, as it warmed it stumbled a littl so i popped the gas a little and it flattened out for a short time then began to stumble again so i held the carb at about 2500rpm for about 30secs then there was a LOUD pop and the motor stalled. at this time i saw a small flash over the pass side header. when i tried to re-fire the motorthere was an awfull grinding sound and the fan belt barely moved.

sorry for such a drawn out post but i want to get all the info out so i can get the best advise. Holcomb motor sports says that my combo should work just fine together, they also advised me to try a 92-93 starter. but acording to the parts store they used the same as the 95 starter that didnt work. but then again they say the tourqe master replacment is the same from 79-95. how can this be, with the use of 10 and 10.5'' flywheel setups wouldnt the very early bells be different? i know the 95 bell is slimmer due to the smaller transmission tunnel, so to me it would be intuitive to think if theres a preformance starter that covers 79-95 shouldnt there be an OE replacement that does as well. I th ought i knew alot about mustangs till i tried changing the starter LOL ive also tried shims even thought thats counter intuitive because its not moving the starter the right direction, the parts store suggested the main bearings were bad, but i have it from a good source(pops) that if that were the case the motor would knock and as the fronts on jackstands oil would pour out the bak if the mains were that bad

if anyone has any ideas at this point i would love to hear them...

at his wits end,
ED

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ha i am the jack of all asses, the plate between the bell and block is misaligned to the passenger side thus moving to the starter away from the flywheel, well anyways theres the answer, hope that helps someone.

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
Well at least you found the problem, that's the main thing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yea i agree! well ican move on now and start finalizing things that are mocked up!

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
Good luck with it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
iam still having this starter issue with the car, FastLane in benson said I need a 164 tooth 28oz external balance flywheel to work with my curret block bell combo. thing is the flywheels i find forsale like this are 4.6L flywheels or dont tell what its for. again my motor is older with non-HO FO. from what ive found i think maybe its 164 tooth i need but in a 50oz ext. balance? any help or sugestions?? PLEASE?!!?!:headscratch:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
according to the part number from the flywheel that was on the car when purchased(donar) EIZR-6380-AA its E=80-89 decade I=89 z=MUSTANG R=??. this is all i can find again this flywheel had a 10 in centerforce clutch that would not bolt to the 95 flywheel currently in place. iam thinking now that all i need to do is swap to a newer bell and i should be fine. also i was unaware that there were any 10 inch clutches in 89? am i missinformed??

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
I give credit to Fastlane, they know their stuff but why do they say you need a 28 ounce balance flywheel when the engine is a 50 ounce? That year engine should still have the 50 ounce balance to it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
not sure he gave me no way to tell, a friend of a friend says checking the main seal 2pc=28oz and 1pc=50oz. i have had the motor running and went into the 5,000 rpm range with the 95 fly wheel on this older motor with no load and i didnt hear anything unusual. again im thinking a stock fox body bell housing will correct the issue?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the car is back home now and the top end work is done to pull the motor, i should have it out by tonight or 2morrow morning. i will post what i find. ( the donar car was an 83 capri not sure the block is now but it is a non HO firing order)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the block is E5AE 85 ford engine, the bell is E6ZR 86 ford mustang, the fly wheel has E1ZR cast into it and E6ZR stamped meaning 81 design 86 model assembly. *scrathing my head* why wouldnt this be working??

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i got the motor spining good now using the 86 bell and an early flywheel that holds a 10'' clutch:nogrinner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.