Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there, this is my first post so im sorry if I missed any of the rules. If so please let me know and I'll be sure to fix the problem. My question is this: I have $1500 from my recent graduation and I am wondering where to start on my 1987 Mustang GT. It is bone stock except for a pair of ford racing front lower control arms (bushings and ball joints were completely toast). So yah, if you guys can throw some ideas out there I would be very appreciative. The modifications can be aesthetic or performance enhancing.
Thanks again,
Brenden

·
Registered
16 Posts
All depend on what you plan on doing in the future. 1987 is a speed density car, which means if you do alot of modifications you will have to chane it over to Mass Air. The mass air kit is usually around 700.00 since you have to buy he computer also. Make a list of mods you want to do, anything major (Heads, cam swap, intake, bigger TB and spacer, bigger injectors would definitely need to go to mass air) I can tell you from experience I had an 87 switched to mass air which included the wiring, computer and MAF sensor, then as I went with mods you need more fuel, so bigger injectors means new MAF sensor. The MAF and injectors have to be matched or the car will run like crap. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
565 Posts
what he said.

I would say quicket way to wake up your car is to put some different gears in there. Maybe some 3.73s.

Then maybe do headers and catback get everything flowing a little better. If you're not worried about emissions get an off road mid pipe. Ditch all your smog equipment.

·
Registered
224 Posts
All depend on what you plan on doing in the future. 1987 is a speed density car, which means if you do alot of modifications you will have to chane it over to Mass Air. The mass air kit is usually around 700.00 since you have to buy he computer also. Make a list of mods you want to do, anything major (Heads, cam swap, intake, bigger TB and spacer, bigger injectors would definitely need to go to mass air) I can tell you from experience I had an 87 switched to mass air which included the wiring, computer and MAF sensor, then as I went with mods you need more fuel, so bigger injectors means new MAF sensor. The MAF and injectors have to be matched or the car will run like crap. :bigthumbsup

not to argue but the MAF conversion is not as expensive as you have noted. In fact I just recently bought one too and it ran me a solid $400(including shipping).
But as far as the interest of this thread, you could check out this link...this is exactly the same question I posed a couple of months ago. Good luck and welcome to AFM!

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/5-0l-talk/227195-best-way-spend-1500-1986-mustang-gt.html

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
yup, these guys got it right, before you do anything, it must be converted to mass air if you plan on doing any mods

·
Registered
6,328 Posts
i've seen used MAF computers go for anywhere from $75-$150,depending on which one

get a MAF plug from a junkyard-$2

stock or aftermarket MAF meter--anywhere from $10 for a stock used one to $300 for a good,brand new aftermarket

potentially,you can switch to mass air for under $100

i converted my 1988 SD harness to mass air using a MAF plug from a 4cyl mustang in a junkyard..it cost me $1+tax (i had the computer and meter already)

·
Registered
369 Posts
gears and exhaust. all that other stuff you need to really think about so u don't end up doing it twice. get ur whole exhaust or most of it done and do the gear thing. gears r cheap if u pick up an old rear, yes the whole rear and just swap it.........its not too hard. then she will be snappier and louder. think long and hard after that about how far u want to go with ur other mods so u don't double dip ur chip.

·
Banned
1,784 Posts
definatelly subframe connectors, gears, and exhaust. that will give you a good starting point for your car. from there, i would continue on with suspension.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
im also thinkin about the 5 lug conversion...there is a very limited selection of wheels for the 4 lug. thanks for all the replies.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.