Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,I replaced the starter relay about 4-5 montha ago from autozone.Recently when I go to start my car it will go click,click,click,click then start.Then last night my car started right up but then the starter kept running.I turned the ignition off but the starter kept running,flip the key on then it starts but starter keeps running.I had to pop my hood while the car was off but still turnung over and beat on the area where the starter relay is cause I couldnt get the custom cover off so i just hit it with my hand till it stopped.Is it the relay or is it my starter?I have long tubes and when the car is hot the starter turns over slow.any help would be great.Thanks:headscratch:

·
Super Moderator
40,151 Posts
sounds like a cheap selinoid...get a good quality heavy duty one and make sure your cables are good.i have had this problem with autozone elec.parts.

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
I agree, sounds like the solenoid.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks,I guess I shouldn't have been so cheap and spent $20.00+ on the HD solenoid.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Check out your wires first and look at your key switch it could also be you started solenoid sticking good luck

·
Registered
59 Posts
The solenoid is causing the run-on with the starter. You could have bad wires creating more resistance that is resulting in solenoid failure. Generally, the battery cables and connectors are the first place to look, they should be in "like new" condition. Those cables can break inside of the insulation and trash your electical system. Then, move on to the connections at the ignition switch, starter, solenoid, and ALL grounding wires. Electrical sysems aren't complicated, but each connection is important.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had the same exact problem and after new starter and the best solenoids napa had ( 3 ) it turned out to be a cheap fix. It was the ignition switch or starter switch on the bottom of the steering column. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had the same exact problem and after new starter and the best solenoids napa had ( 3 ) it turned out to be a cheap fix. It was the ignition switch or starter switch on the bottom of the steering column. Hope this helps.
I guess it wasn't the fix cause it's still doing it. Anybody have anymore ideas?:headscratch:

·
Registered
18 Posts
bring ur car to a parts store and see how many amps it is taking to start it..if ur engine is stock then, shouldnt take more then 200 amps on regular 70 degree day

·
Registered
18 Posts
if its more then that replace the starter .drawing tomany amps will overheat the starter solenoid,most of the time thats y the solenoid's go bad......unless u have some wiring problem making the wire from the ignition switch to the solenoid stay on

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.