Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of swapping a 96 explorer engine into my 88GT. I have the engine all apart and im going to rebuild the bottom end (new bearings and rings) them planning on adding a cam and porting the gt40 heads and intake as well as adding roller rockers.
the car also has a 5 speed with 3.55gears

sound good?

I need suggestions on cam, rocker size, injector size, throttle body or anything else i can do to make the most power without completely breaking the bank???

·
Registered
56 Posts
While its apart

I'm in the process of swapping a 96 explorer engine into my 88GT. I have the engine all apart and im going to rebuild the bottom end (new bearings and rings) them planning on adding a cam and porting the gt40 heads and intake as well as adding roller rockers.
the car also has a 5 speed with 3.55gears

sound good?

I need suggestions on cam, rocker size, injector size, throttle body or anything else i can do to make the most power without completely breaking the bank???
I would add a main support from DSS while its apart. Read up on it, I will not rebuild a motor without one.

D.S.S. Main Support System Main Girdle

As for Cam, you can only go as big as your clearance unless you change pistons to ones with valve reliefs. If you stay stock you can get away with a B303 and 1.6 rockers. A 70-75mm throttle body would work fine, and I would definitely add a MSD 6AL box and a blaster coil. Some underdrive pulleys will help, but make sure you get a smaller alternator pulley if you plan on street driving a lot.

Why not rebuild the whole motor while you have it apart? Pistons and rods are not that much.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
currently going to tech school so money is a little tight

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
I hear you on going to school, MAKE SURE YOU COMPLETE IT. Education is your best chance at making it, with how pathetic our economy has gotten.

If you must reuse the pistons and rods, have them cleaned and resized after making sure they're still in decent shape.

Stick with the stock 19 pound injectors. You don't need bigger at this time.
70mm throttle body.
For the cam, I suggest this one.
http://www.compcams.com/Cam_Specs/CamDetails.aspx?csid=1054&sb=2

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.