Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I was given a 1988 Mustang Lx 5.0, 5 speed. I want to do a complete engine rebuild, but don't want to just start throwing parts at it. I want it to be mostly steetable, but quick. Would appreciate some good input.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Okay, so I was given a 1988 Mustang Lx 5.0, 5 speed. I want to do a complete engine rebuild, but don't want to just start throwing parts at it. I want it to be mostly steetable, but quick. Would appreciate some good input.
I'd suggest going to Summit's site. I rebuilt the same motor back in the late '80s, and their catalog(now website) gave parts packages and their output. As you wrote, you want everything sourced to best work together as a package, and companies like Summit give you several options(and detailed description's of what and how) for power and price(and longevity I would suspect), from the crank all the way up to the rockers, and everything in between.
Since you're gonna be driving it seemingly regularly on the street, the only thing I'd suggest is not going wild on the compression and/or cam profile. You'll get sick of race gas pricing real quick, as well as a motor that comes on like it has a huge turbo. Luckily the 302 is almost like the Chv 350, in that there's been a HUGE amount of R&D done on it, so whatever you're looking for, you'll be able to get it.:bigthumbsup

·
Banned
12,436 Posts
Well if you have the time tools and expertise to rebuild an engine then yeah go for it...however in this day and age, buying a fully rebuilt engine is the way to go, it's cheaper, faster and the quality/warranty you can get will surpass most local jobs...if you search ebay/craigslist or Summitt or Jegs you will be amazed at the selection, you can find everything from stock to fully built race engines, this way your project is taken from weeks or even months to literally days since an engine swap can be a one or two day event...good luck have fun.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts