Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1988 GT 5.0 5 speed trying to set new TPS with it plugged in but not on throttle body it reads .506 just put new IAC on also. Any help is gladly accepted!

·
Registered
299 Posts
You will need to install it onto the throttle body, but leave the 2 mounting screws slightly loose to allow it to slide back and forth. Position the sensor so that it reads 0.98v at closed throttle, then tighten down the screws.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have had it on the throttle body and open the slots as far as i can and the best i can get is .506 on or off the throttle body.

·
Registered
482 Posts
If the value is not moving at all, I do believe it's time for a TPS. Have cranking it all the way with a screwdriver while it's off the TB and see if the values change at all.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Well that's fine for the lowest, you need .94 to .99 volts. It won't be bottomed out, so there's no problem. Some are extra finicky, but you should be able to put it in the right spot.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Setting it straight on won't do it. You have to angle it a little so when you put it on, you will have to twist the TPS a little to get the holes lined up. You basically are pre loading the sensor a little. And it doesn't have to be .9v range. .7v-.1v in that range will be fine. You could even go a little lower or higher.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Just for the record... between .5v and 1.19v is good enough for the ecu to know what is going on.
If it doesn't throw a code, you're good.
It doesn't need to be exactly .9998v...

The ecu sets a baseline based on the lowest value it sees (indicating idle), then all other use of the TPS signal is calculated based on change from the TPS base (idle)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts