Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok. so i have a 1988 2.3l mustang. i finally got it to turn over after i found out that the battery was completely dead. but now i cant get it to fire effeciently. i have to keep my foot on the gas to keep it running. in other words, keep the throttle completely open. once i take my foot off the gas, it dies. note that i already installed a new throttle position sensor. i wanted to know what other things can be causing this to happen?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Was the Mustang running fine until the battery died? Maybe the alternator is weak. Could explain the battery dying and weak engine.(not getting enough electricity to spark) Autozone and other stores test alternators for free.

·
Registered
38 Posts
that happened to me once.. turned out a ground came dissconnected by the battery. I would check all the grounds and connects. Maybe the timing belt?

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Does the throttle HAVE to be fully open, or will it run 1/2 to 3/4 open? How do you get it started initially?

Did the car run OK before this like Car Crazy asked?

If it will run WOT, the RPMs on the alternator are possibly high enough to have it put out more juice, and allowing it to run. Have it checked like chenmp mentioned.

·
Registered
15 Posts
this really sounds like timing to me.. when you mat it to get it started how high does it rev? when was the last time this car ran correctly do you know? also the throttle position sensor did you ensure all connections were good and clean? have you tried firing the car with the TPS not hooked up?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.