Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what inexpensive power adder modifications can be added to a 1988 mustang with 5.0 ho stock motor. I have an upgraded aod with 2300-2500 stall convertor and want the motor to match with around 500 hp.

·
Registered
86 Posts
producing 500hp will never be cheap and not capable with a stock engine... your gonna want an aftermarket block with a stroker kit aftermarket heads, intake,and forged internals with maybe a lil bit of juice :yup:
250 to 300 is a little more reasonable

·
Registered
283 Posts
They don't make them, a 1988 5.0 has ruffly 200 hp, to get to 500...... a blower or a bunch of spray. Or start with some E.B. victor jr. heads, small spray, fuel system, and gears, tough to get there from where you're standing for a reasonable price. Good luck !!!

·
Registered
636 Posts
more or less what he said. the only cheap power adder is nitrous...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am new to the 5.0 I have had several 2.3s I am impressed with the car I got it in about 20 pieces and have got it running and what not. It goes backwards but not forward. I am changing out the trans with the one I mentioned earlier. I am sad to hear it only produces about 200 hp. can someone recommend a diffy gear ratio that I may be able to install that will give me a little more speed in the trap? and thanks for the advice on the power adders . what about maybe a cam swap and intake swap and head swap what will bolt up and give me a little? thanks again guys!

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
if you want it on the cheap a gt 40 intake and heads will bolt on but you have to remember these are ford parts and used most of which are in junkyards so bolting on and going isnt an option youd need em rebuilt atleast. may as well save for better heads.

with an auto get a set of ford racing 4.10's and the master rebuild kit not the install kit for the rear may as well do it once and do it right.

R

·
0 Posts
Why 500 HP.....

A major difference after driving a 2.3.....

BTW it will not be cheap to get there.......

·
Registered
416 Posts
Why 500 HP.....

you beat me there reggie

Most guys on here with heads, cam, intake swap on a 5.0 are 300-350 horsepower.

a stock block wont take a huge shot of nitrous without splitting the block. and even if it could your internals would be laying in the middle of the street.

no matter what you do, any addition in horsepower won't help you one bit, unless you want the nickname "sit and spin"

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so maybe a set of rebuilt gt40 heads and intake with a trickflow hydraulic cam and a rebuilt rearend with racing 4.10s with a built boss aod with a 2300-2500 convertor and a ram air intake with hooker headers and flowmaster cat back exhaust should be impressive for what I have to work with? This is what I gather anyway I like what I am hearing it is within budget any other suggestions or experiences?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.