Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my oil gauge says that the oil is low but when i check it on the dip stick from the engine it's fine. sholud i change the oil pump? like is it not getting enough pressure? or i'm thinking maybe the oil filter might be all bad? is there some type of test i can do to find out what the problem is? plese help me

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Your dash gage measures oil pressure and not oil level. There is an idiot light for the level.

It is common for the oil pressure sending unit to go bad and cause false readings. It's round and about 3" X 4" and screws into the block right above the oil filter.

Too often the connector on the single wire going to it gets twisted and doesn't make proper contact. Make sure it's tight! If it's loose that can cause excessive resistance causing the gage not to read properly.

The sending unit is under $25. Make sure you get the one I described and not the smaller sending unit some parts store might sell as a replacement.

Let's hope that this gets you rolling cause if you need an oil pump chances are you need bearings as well.

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
I agree, do the easy/cheap things before panicking. Replace the sending unit, then check the gauge. But what pressure does it read? Does it drop after the engine warms up? Does it, after it's warmed up, raise when you rev it? If the pressure changes, it could be the bearings. If it was the pump, there wouldn't be any pressure at all.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
how much would the the oil pump and bearings cost ruffly? i aslo think the filter might be dirty as well. ya the meter reads like a 2 notches before the red one. thats all bad. i'm gunna check the wire going to the pump on the block.

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
Oil pump is usually around $30, main bearings are around $35, rod bearings are around $50.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
when i turn the key forward before cranking it, it shows no pressure. but then when i start it it's like a notch above the red but when i rev it or drive it goes up to 2 notches:mad: SOMETIMES or otherwise it's pretty low

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
Look on the driver's side of the engine close to the timing cover, you'll see a hex shaped rod with a brass bell shaped part on it that has 1 wire coming off of it. That's the sending unit. It'll come off of the rod so you don't have to take that off, just the unit itself.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so i'm gunna disconnect this an just sorta inspect it i guess. see if it's clogged an check the lines?

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
so i'm gunna disconnect this an just sorta inspect it i guess. see if it's clogged an check the lines?
No need. Just make sure the wire is on tight. If that doesn't solve your problem get a new one!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ya it looks pretty old the sending unit. the wire was kinda loose so i put it back on tight. i don't think that fixed it. so i think i'm gunna buy a new sending unit an do a oil change see what happens

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
how hard is it to replace the main bearings and rod bearings after getting the oil pan off?
Probably be best to start your own thread and put plenty of info as that question will just get people asking you tons of questions as to why you asked.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts