Ford Mustang Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
When I key on fuel pressure don't move. I have to cycle the key like 4 times to get it to 40psi. I would think key on it should build without having to cycle the key correct?
Sounds like the pump is weak but I would definitely do the base timing first, you replaced the fuel pressure regulator correct? Stock style or adjustable regulator?

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Stock vac style
Good, and when you rechecked the fuel pressure after the install you have 39 psi at idle? If that is good as well I would then replace the fuel pump assembly in the tank

Reactions: jcwilliams

·
Registered
31 Posts
When I key on fuel pressure don't move. I have to cycle the key like 4 times to get it to 40psi. I would think key on it should build without having to cycle the key correct?
Yes, the fuel pump should run for about 2 seconds when you turn the key on. If it doesn't there could be a problem with the fuel pump relay which is supposedly under the the driver's seat. The EEC-IV computer energizes the relay for 2 seconds to bring the pressure up to operating pressure. If the fuel pump check valve and the fuel pressure regulator are both doing their job, the pressure should jump up to 40 before the relay turns off. If not, you could have an issue with one or the other. If the pressure doesn't hold, then there's a leak in one of them. If the pump only runs for a fraction of a second, it could be the pump relay or the computer (Ford called it a "processor" back then) as it might not be energizing it long enough; might want to check the supply voltage to the relay as well as the relay ground going back to the computer. If it's not grounding the relay fully, that could be an issue as well. Check the grounds on the computer as well; I believe pins 20, 40 & 60 were the grounds. They're all on the very end of one side of the connector; one is Black and the other 2 are Black with a green stripe.

No I have 30psi at idle. When revved it drops some psi maybe downwards of 25psi.
When you rev the engine, it should increase to 40 psi, not decrease. When idling at 30 psi, if you pull the vacuum hose off the regulator, it should increase to around 40psi. If it does, but when you rev it up it drops then you have a fuel flow problem, not a regulator problem. Either there's a restriction between the pump and the fuel rail or you have a weak fuel pump that can't deliver the volume of fuel needed.

·
Registered
670 Posts
All good now?

21 - 28 of 28 Posts