Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the middle of replacing my tired braking system from my 88 Mustang and upgrading to the infamous SN95 w/ Cobra Calipers setup.
However, I am having a few problems along the way.

Would it be possible to use 17x8 rims with 96 spindles and a 94-95 rear end? I was advised by Maximum Motorsports to use the 96-up spindles, since it would require less bump-steer spacers. I checked MJBobbitt's website concerning the 5 lug conversion, but still remain skeptical.

What master cylinder and brake booster should I go for? I was either strictly staying with 93 Cobra parts or 94-95 Cobra parts. However, the bore size between the two master cylinders are slightly different, the 93 Cobra is 1 inch and the 94-95 master cylinder is 15/16 of an inch.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I don't know who told you to use '96-up spindles, but doing so will create an incorrectible bumpsteer problem. If you look at MM's Tech Tips section, it tells all about it. You should use '94-95 spindles.

For the M/C & booster, I suggest you use the '93 Cobra parts as they are pretty much a direct swap for the stock pieces. I believe the SN95 M/C and booster will require some modifications to the firewall to bolt them up.

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
I would say use the 94-95 spindles too. This guy knows what he's talking about.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Thanks Eagle. I'm by no means an expert on this subject, but I did a lot of research before doing the conversion on my car.

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
Those people who've done certain projects before know what works and what doesn't. That's when I defer to other knowledgeable people.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
85Mustang, even if I am replacing my stock K-Member with Maximum Motorsport's K-Member, I should continue hunting 94-95 spindles? I must have read the information on their site incorrectly.

What brake booster are you using? How does your pedal feel? I had read on the other page, the conversion link from MJBobbitt that I would need to elongate the holes to fit the later model booster.

Also, I was planning to purchase my parts from BuyFordRacing.com, but I have not received any return emails from their staff. I want to purchase the calipers, rotors, and rear brake kit from the site. They have a "killer combo deal," those calipers would bolt onto the 94-95 spindle? Would it accomodate to the rotors they sell on their site (the rotors are labelled for 2003-04 Cobra & price @ $125.00).

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Yes go with the 94-95 Spindles unless you are going to run an Aftermarket K Member. The Cobra, Bullitt, Mach1 Calipers will bolt right up, also look at getting Maximum Motorsports Stainless Braided Lines then you wont need an Adapter for the Passenger Side. I always recommend the 93 Cobra Booster as it has the same Stud Pattern and Thread Pitch and it has great pedal feel. Its good that you are doing research and asking questions, dont forget to gut the Stock Prop Valve and get an Adjustable one and the Mods for your Handbrake are not too hard. If you run into any problems feel free to ask as I am sure we can help.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just to clarify, Cobra, Bullitt, Mach1 calipers can all use the 2003 to 2004 Cobra front rotors?

Where can I find a 93 Cobra Brake Booster for sale?

I am positive that I will be replacing my stock (rusted and cracked) K-Member. I will upgrade to Maximum Motor-sport's K-Member. Does anyone know someone who has installed it?
Guess I should start another post :scratchchin.

Shaker, since I am positive that I will replace my K-Member, which spindle would you recommend?

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Using '96-up spindles on a STOCK K-member will create bumpsteer issues, however, with the MM K-member it may not be a problem. It has to do with where the rack mounts to the K-member in relation to the steering arms. I haven't read through their whole site, so double check just to be sure. I can't imagine anyone at MM giving you incorrect information. Any of the '94-04 13" Cobra rotors will work with the 3 calipers you mentioned. They are all basically the same.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.