Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have two questions about my car (stockish '88 gt convertible, 5 speed). I don't know if i'm looking for problems that aren't there, or if these are actual issues. The car has good tires, new FR plugs/wires/distributor cap/rotor, and frame connectors.

1st question - While accelerating, the cars pulls good then, all of a sudden, it pulls harder. It's almost like something "gives" it more power all of a sudden. This only happens when i'm driving it hard, I never notice this during normal driving. Could this be timing related? Is this at all normal (the car is 24 years old..)?

2nd question - The car sometimes feels loose in the back after turning. If I give it a little too much gas while turning, I can make the rear swing out a bit ( i know that's normal), but when it comes back (to regular stance) it feels like like it rocks a little too much before sitting straight again. I'm not talking about sending the rear out violently, just a little bit. The stock shocks seem normal, they're not bouncy at all and the tires wear even. Does this sound normal?

Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
831 Posts
Question One: You could be perceiving when it comes onto the cam. This is slang for the engine entering its "sweetspot" in terms of power production.

Question Two: Your rear lower control arms are located by large rubber bushings that are designed to "give" a lot, so you can have a comfortable ride. Now that they are 23 years old, they could be dry rotted or torn so that they allow the control arm to move a lot more than they are meant to move. This would be noticeable when driving in a spirited manner.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts