Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my name is Kaleb. I recently did the 4 Cylinder to a 5.0HO swap back last march. we bought the motor and tranny (turned out to be a world class) will all the trimmings. Turns out the previous owner got all the good use out of the motor (he probably didnt help its cause by bottle feeding a completely stock block). now the rings all have different compression, it smokes when reved hard (like merging into traffic at a fast pace), and i have a valve rattle (if say you were just driving down the road at 55 mph in 5th gear you just floor it). i already checked and my rockers are stock and non adjustable, which my friend who is a good mechanic says that i have a lifter that is going down. now i need to decided weather to do a complete rebuild kit, or just a re-ring kit, and if i should punch it .30 over (which if im not mistaken would require the rebuild kit). the car will be used as a daily driver (30 miles round trip) and if i need to drive home to VA at a moments notice so it needs to be reliable (481.8 miles one way). Please help me!

and here is the compression of my cylinders if that will help any

1-145 PSI
2-150 PSI
3-150 PSI
4-160 PSI
5-145 PSI
6-135 PSI
7-145 PSI
8-150 PSI

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Welcome to AFM Kaleb! A re-ring kit will be sufficient enough for your needs. You'd be correct about needing an engine rebuild kit once you bored the motor. The pistons you have now would be too small. Your compression is a little lower than usual, but are within compression spec from each other. If cylinder 6 was at 120 psi then I'd worry. You could do a leak-down test to vary if the rings are the cause of low compression....

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea i was thinking the re-ring kit, especially sence i can buy it and a new set of lifters for about 400 bucks less than what just the rebuild kit costs. guess like you said, all depends what the other important parts look like when its apart right lol. and you can reuse a camshaft right?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
guess another question i need to ask is wether i should DIY or pay someone to do it

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
As long as its not worn, yes. When measuring the camshaft intake lobes they should all be within .005 inch of each other. Same with the exhaust.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
guess another question i need to ask is wether i should DIY or pay someone to do it
Have you ever built an engine before? If not, then I'd have a professional do it for you.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sweet!...i was hoping to hear that...just wait and see one of them be .006 of another and i have to buy a new cam shaft...thats my luck

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thats a negative batman on the rebuild part, lol had to replace all the gaskets twice (minus the head gasket and valve cover gaskets) cause my car randomly decided to blow all the other gaskets at once...then i messed them up lol, how much do you think havin a shop do that would cost? in rough estimation

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I've never asked a shop before.... guessing $500-$750?? RLG34750 would be a better person to ask about that or anyone who has had it done lol.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yea thanks, ill try to ask him, if not i work at a motorcycle shop, and one of my good friends there built a few drag motors (hes a chevy guy though) and see if he would possibly do it

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.