Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello
i have an 88 5.0. its not on yet, but in the mail, i will have a full exhaust, 3.73 a cai , and a 255lph fuel pump. i got the 255 because next winter i plan on doing a motor build (im doing everything else this winter) i guess i now need a fuel pressure gauge and was wondering how it is hooked up.
i found this and i think its pretty cool, but i only need a fuel pressure gauge and i dont think i can put it in the car.
Foxbody Radio Relocation Panel (87-93) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!
any help? also if it wouldnt be too hard to do, and i could have the pressure gauge in the car, what other usefule/ cheap 2-16" gauges could i use?
thanks alot
o yeah, how do i hook up a pressure regulator

R

·
0 Posts
hello
i have an 88 5.0. its not on yet, but in the mail, i will have a full exhaust, 3.73 a cai , and a 255lph fuel pump. i got the 255 because next winter i plan on doing a motor build (im doing everything else this winter) i guess i now need a fuel pressure gauge and was wondering how it is hooked up.
i found this and i think its pretty cool, but i only need a fuel pressure gauge and i dont think i can put it in the car.
Foxbody Radio Relocation Panel (87-93) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!
any help? also if it wouldnt be too hard to do, and i could have the pressure gauge in the car, what other usefule/ cheap 2-16" gauges could i use?
thanks alot
o yeah, how do i hook up a pressure regulator

1. it is not advised to run a fuel pressure gauge in the car
(should be cowl mounted) installation is simple just follow the directions that are included with the gauge.....

2.Never buy cheap gauges ( if you are on a heart monitor wouldn't you want the best)

3.JMO.....the two most important gauges to own are OIL Pressure & Water Temp

·
Registered
337 Posts
Here's another option for you-
Auto Meter 10101 - Auto Meter Pillar Gauge Pods - summitracing.com
It's goes on your driver side A pillar. If you get an electrical fuel pressure gauge you can run it in the interior but a mechanical one would have to be run outside the car in the engine compartment or yet another option-
http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=CGC2S+01
You'd need another gauge though to use it and you could use a mechanical one on the cowl. Electrical gauges(for fuel pressure) are mounted in the car via a wire from a sender that would thread into the fuel rail on the engine. Mechanical gauges(for fuel pressure) are mounted outside the car either directly on the fuel rail(a miniature gauge) or on your cowl via a copper gasoline tube. No mechanical fuel pressure gauge can be mounted in the car cabin because of the obvious risk of leaking. Other mechanical gauges can be though like vacuum and boost but in many cases gauges come in mechanical and electrical option for use inside or outside of the car.

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
I actually like that panel, it's functional and looks good, mainly because the radio isn't hidden behind the shifter.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah, i think ill get the cowl since i cant have fuel ran into the car... what else should i have other than fuel pressure? water temp or oil pressure?

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
I have the radio relocator panel. I love it, it allowed me to put in a flip up dvd and a place for gauges. I have aftermarket mechanical Ford Racing gauges: boost, volts, fuel, oil, water, trans, etc. I just bought an isolator which runs to the gauge but doesnt use fuel inside of the car to make it work. It costs about $100 from JEGS.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Since you already have water temp and oil pressure as stock gauges I would recommend getting something else like an ammeter, vacuum, or trans temp.(if it's an auto).

R

·
0 Posts
Since you already have water temp and oil pressure as stock gauges I would recommend getting something else like an ammeter, vacuum, or trans temp.(if it's an auto).
i whole heartily disagree with above statement....

Stock gauges are nothing more than glorified idiot lights....

water and oil are your engines life's blood.....

you have to ask yourself this question.....

If if was in ICU(intensive care unit) would I want my vital signs

monitored by a device from Walmart.....:shrug

·
Registered
337 Posts
i whole heartily disagree with above statement....

Stock gauges are nothing more than glorified idiot lights....

water and oil are your engines life's blood.....

you have to ask yourself this question.....

If if was in ICU(intensive care unit) would I want my vital signs

monitored by a device from Walmart.....:shrug
And I whole heartily disagree with your statement. It's telling that a gauge that Ford built from the 60's, 70's, 80's or later still works today. Other than a fuel gauge, I personally haven't had a Ford gauge malfunction-at least the gauge itself, usually a sending unit or wiring problem. And I wouldn't ever compare a Ford built gauge to Walmart either. Obviously, an Autometer gauge or an equivalent will be superior to your stock gauge but if you already have a working gauge in your dash you might as well buy a different gauge that you can monitor.

R

·
0 Posts
And I whole heartily disagree with your statement. It's telling that a gauge that Ford built from the 60's, 70's, 80's or later still works today. Other than a fuel gauge, I personally haven't had a Ford gauge malfunction-at least the gauge itself, usually a sending unit or wiring problem. And I wouldn't ever compare a Ford built gauge to Walmart either. Obviously, an Autometer gauge or an equivalent will be superior to your stock gauge but if you already have a working gauge in your dash you might as well buy a different gauge that you can monitor.
you are entitled to your opinion ......

but you are so wrong ford or any other stock gauges are useless

at best they are a warning device to tell you its to late....

its been so long that i've had stock gauges in my car.....

oh yes the ford temp gauge read as follows N.O.R.M.A.L

please tell me how many degrees equals the R or how many degrees equals the L......you can't do it....

after pouring thousands of dollars into a motor you need to know whats going on.....

based upon your thinking i guess quad shocks are better than aftermarket upper and lower control arms....

and for the most important oil pressure knowing it can be difference between replacing a oil pump or replacing a crank......

ford did not always have a better idea......

to coin a pharse "paid me now or pay me later".....

·
Registered
337 Posts
rlg34750, HAHA-I don't why you're trying to start some kind of argument but you need to chill out, dude. This isn't a pissing contest, it's a forum for giving advise. Just in case you didn't see it I already said that "Obviously, an Autometer gauge or an equivalent will be superior to your stock gauge". Take a breather for a second compose yourself. If DillonT wants to "upgrade" a gauge that already works that's his choice, not yours so there's no reason to be condescending and billigerent.
Also, I've never heard the phrase-"paid me now or pay me later". I have heard "pay me now or pay me later" though.

R

·
0 Posts
rlg34750, HAHA-I don't why you're trying to start some kind of argument but you need to chill out, dude. This isn't a pissing contest, it's a forum for giving advise. Just in case you didn't see it I already said that "Obviously, an Autometer gauge or an equivalent will be superior to your stock gauge". Take a breather for a second compose yourself. If DillonT wants to "upgrade" a gauge that already works that's his choice, not yours so there's no reason to be condescending and belligerent.
Also, I've never heard the phrase-"pay me now or pay me later". I have heard "pay me now or pay me later" though.

there was nothing condescending or belligerent....

just opposition to bad advice

thank you for the correction on the quote..

btw way you spelled belligerent wrong but i fixed it for you....:so

no need to thank me......

·
Registered
337 Posts
Geez, dude. This has gone far enough. You obviously have a bad attitude problem that common sense can't cure. Go find someone else to fight with.:thumbdown

Sorry, DillonT for having to put up with this guys incessant quarrelling

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
Well, heres my opinion! Whether anyone cares or not:) My factory temp guage reads inbetween N.O.R.M.A.L. but if you can READ you can see the actual temp it is saying your car is running (ex. 130-280 halfway would be 205* since I have too much money invested for my 180* t-stat, electric fan,timing, supercharger, etc. to let my car run at 210-215* which is what my guage reads (as this would impose a problem) I run a aftermarket autometer water that reads 175* w/ fan on (double checked w/ laser temp reader). And from what I was told from Mustang Muscle that guage is accurate to a point and once the volts increase from normal 190* it most of the time causes the guage to spike. I would say that would make or break my performance! SO to each there own but for $40 why risk it?

R

·
0 Posts
im thinkin just a fuel pressure gauge in the engine bay could work.
a under hood (fuel rail mounted is good) ....makes aajusting the fuel pressure much easier

Well, heres my opinion! Whether anyone cares or not:) My factory temp guage reads inbetween N.O.R.M.A.L. but if you can READ you can see the actual temp it is saying your car is running (ex. 130-280 halfway would be 205* since I have too much money invested for my 180* t-stat, electric fan,timing, supercharger, etc. to let my car run at 210-215* which is what my guage reads (as this would impose a problem) I run a aftermarket autometer water that reads 175* w/ fan on (double checked w/ laser temp reader). And from what I was told from Mustang Muscle that guage is accurate to a point and once the volts increase from normal 190* it most of the time causes the guage to spike. I would say that would make or break my performance! SO to each there own but for $40 why risk it?
that's my point why trust a 10,000 motor to the historicaly inaccurate factory gauge....

thats the reason i have all mechnical gauges....

but what do i know.....:)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.