Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I am in need of some help to say the least! I have a 88 5.0 GT 5 speed. It has always had some idling issues but for the most part ran fine. While at a stop light the car started shaking and missing like crazy. I got it to a friends house we have checked everything we can think of and are stumped! We cant figure out why it is missing so badly. It had gas in the oil and is running way rich. You can pull off three plug wires and cant tell a difference! I changed the oil, new plugs,wires,cap and rotor also a map sensor and both O2 sensors. I tried having the codes read but it wont even connect to the ECM.Could the computer have just went bad? I was told if the bulb in the dashboard was removed or burnt out that it would not complete a circuit and that may be why I cant pull codes. Is this true? I can hear a loud tick almost a knock which I never heard until all this happened. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance! Sorry if I posted in the wrong place it's been a LONG day :(

·
Super Moderator
40,152 Posts
welcome to the site,enjoy!!!! check all your grounds good,does the ces light come on any?check the dist. for excessive play.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Gas in the oil?? Try pulling off the plug on your IAC...thats the cyclinder like thing on the right of the throttle body and see how it runs....this new knock you are hearing..where are you hearing it from...any particular part of the engine compartment? Any past mods done you your 88? Heavy metal brought up a good point...the bolt at the base of ur distrubutor may not be tight enough and is moving your timing.

·
Registered
941 Posts
sounds more sever then that but tell me one thing what does your tps read? cant you get it set to .98v? if it read wot all the time then your computer is fried and it will run rich get crap for mileage stuff like that i know it happened to me i could not get codes either cuz somone hooke that single wire up to the connector i found out leter so i cooked it up how it should have been and it blew my computer an no that light no being in will not effect anything

i would suggest pulling the heads off you may have a bad piston or somethign top that nature...

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
If there's gas in the oil, there's a breach somewhere, whether it's worn rings, or a gasket, or even a crack in the block. I hope it isn't this, but these would explain the rough running.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.