Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

Looking for some advice on recent problems with my AOD....I did a little work on it over winter..OD Servo and 2-3 Accum.....I havent adjusted the TV cable yet, but this is what happens. It shifts from 1st to 2nd fine, though when it does, there is only a little change in my RPM's though I can tell it shifts(is this OK?). From 2nd to 3rd is fine. When I get up in mph, and Im assuming when it wants to shift to OD, its as if Im back in neutral. I can freely give gas and RPM's go up but no reponse motor. I wasnt able to get on it too hard because of the weather. When I was in D w/o circle, it seemed fine. Tx.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Hey,

Looking for some advice on recent problems with my AOD....I did a little work on it over winter..OD Servo and 2-3 Accum.....I havent adjusted the TV cable yet, but this is what happens. It shifts from 1st to 2nd fine, though when it does, there is only a little change in my RPM's though I can tell it shifts(is this OK?). From 2nd to 3rd is fine. When I get up in mph, and Im assuming when it wants to shift to OD, its as if Im back in neutral. I can freely give gas and RPM's go up but no reponse motor. I wasnt able to get on it too hard because of the weather. When I was in D w/o circle, it seemed fine. Tx.
when you installed your overdrive band you probably missed the band with the servo anchor pin.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Funny you shaould say that...are you talkin about the rubber band that goes on the pin itself???? Package didnt come with it, so I figured it didnt need it. Could this be the entire problem?

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The servo I got had a solid pin, Im pretty sure. The pic on the Ford AOD web site (#2) shows what I bought and put in.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I called and the guy said I forgot to push up on the band...which is a small hole by where the servo is put in. I had to push up on it with a flexible gauge(?) and then put the OD servo in while pushing on it which makes absolutely no sense to me..how did the band move to start with, and when I push up on it, what will keep it from doing what it did in the first place?????...does this make sense to anyone?

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
when you have the valve body off, you will be able to see the od band through a hole in the case toward the bellhousing centered. use that hole to push up on the overdrive band anchor with the screw driver until you can see the divot where the servo pin goes into the band. you will need a longer flat screw driver and a flashlight. look through the od servo pin bore in the case till you see the pocket for the pin.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Arlo....I must not understand this as well as I should..but doesnt the Servo pin move up and down in its bore? Why does it have to be lined up...and how did it move in the first place?

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Thanks Arlo....I must not understand this as well as I should..but doesnt the Servo pin move up and down in its bore? Why does it have to be lined up...and how did it move in the first place?
servo pin does move up and down. the band is right above the servo, and if its not lined up then the band will not apply. also make sure that you have installed the o ring that goes on the servo and the two square cut seals that go on the servo cover.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey arlo, I pm'd you.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As a heads up, if the few persons that have an AOD are interested in changing the OD servo to an upgraded version...be sure to speak with the company you bought it from so that you can get instructions on what needs to be done. Its unreal that something so important, like directions, isnt put in with the product. For a product that costs almost 150 bucks, they cant space 3 cents for a small peice of paper with a line or two of writing. In case anyone cant tell, Im pretty pissed off about goin in that tranny again because of something that would have taken a minute or two to do. Even though the company's tech guy was pretty helpful, he told me that it happens to almost everyone putin in a new servo.........if only I could have reached through that phone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
As a heads up, if the few persons that have an AOD are interested in changing the OD servo to an upgraded version...be sure to speak with the company you bought it from so that you can get instructions on what needs to be done. Its unreal that something so important, like directions, isnt put in with the product. For a product that costs almost 150 bucks, they cant space 3 cents for a small peice of paper with a line or two of writing. In case anyone cant tell, Im pretty pissed off about goin in that tranny again because of something that would have taken a minute or two to do. Even though the company's tech guy was pretty helpful, he told me that it happens to almost everyone putin in a new servo.........if only I could have reached through that phone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yea the nerve of those people thinking that a person should have some idea of what they are doing before they put a wrench to the vehicle.
Then again maybe they expect you to have read the Motors Manual or maybe a transmission repair book or taken a class or any of the umpteen other options.l

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just can't stand the sarcasm! My dad can beat up your dad I bet!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.