Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought my first 5 speed 1988 mustang gt convertible and it doesnt seem to have the torque i remember 5.0s having back in the day. The car WILL spin in first gear only. Im not powershifting or nothing but i am getting on it.
Keep in mind this is how the car was when i bought it. I have only added the 3.73 gear and changed the clutch, tracklok, plugs,wires,cap and rotor and fuel filter, motor oil, flushed the transmission, checked the timing (10)and i cleaned the MAF today which was already totally clean looking. Im replacing the throttle body next week also. So far no change in performance, except now i can chirp into 2nd and lost the 1 wheel peel.
I dont know why the car wass modded in this backward fashion unless he took off the heavy mods before selling it or maybe he didnt know what he was doing. Either way...
I was told, by someone i consider knowledgeable, to get rid of my 24lb. injectors (go back to 19lb , which i dont have and would have to buy) plus get a 19lb calibrated MAF (also i would need to buy or at the very least id need to buy the 19lb. sample tube for my current 76mmC+L) then dump my old codes and the car should run great again.
The problem is i dont really want to pay money to "downgrade" my stang. I've heard of problems when using a CAI/C+L MAF combo, is this what im experiencing? I do understand the injectors are too big for my horsepower needs. But do i really need to start heading back towards stock to get my torque back?
Also i have NO idle problems and No Bogging plus NO codes when i ran a scanner, it just seems the car should have more torque/power.
My question is do i really need to spend money to go back to 19lb injectors + 19 lb cal. MAF and will it cause me engine damage if i dont? Because i plan on upgrading my motor next season and would prefer to leave on what i can and maybe dump the C+L for a Pro-m MAF. Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post.

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
stick with the 24's and the Pro M. But was your 88 converted to mass air? With 373 you should be able to spin the tires off. Have you tried check ing the compression to the cylinders, checking codes, and doing the cylinder balance test?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dont know how to tell if it was converted MAF other than its a "supposedly" a california car which ive read were factory maf. Is there a way i can tell if it was speed density or maf originally? I am not really much of a mechanic so i didnt do a cylinder compression test but after reading up on it i think i can manage. I did a KOEO test and got an 11 which my codescanner manual said was meaning no problems. I didnt do the KOER or cylinder balance yet but will as soon as i get it back from the shop(having convertible top replaced). But after a little research based on info you asked me, i have found out converted to maf has a whole bunch of possible performance issues and here is one that may apply to me? -- my 88 has a C+L 76mm MAF which has the original "ford" sensor screwed on the MAM housing. This is how C+L apparently does it. You use your existing sensor. I wonder if the "ford" sensor the previous owner used is the stock 19lber and he just changed the sample tube. i read that the wrong sensor can also cause issues regardless of the tube your using due to slightly improper voltages (plus i cant even tell if it is the blue 102 tube or not due to previous cleanings must have removed the paint cuz its bare metal--anyway im going to measure the tube dimensions and i have a list which can then confirm if i even have the proper tube). And now im thinkin i havent even tried running it with the maf unplugged to see if there is a difference. The thing could be dead the whole time. I noticed when i finished cleaning it the wire un snapped real easy, almost too easily and when i put it back i remember thinking i wonder how good is this connection. But it was 95 degrees outside and i was beginning to run late and pour sweat and i bailed and dropped it off for the convertible install. I'll get back to you with the test results and new developments after i get the mustang back. (heres what i was reading about the MAF conversions to give u insight on what i said i read recently) Hi, I own a 88 ford mustang 5.0 and converted it to ... - JustAnswer

1 - 3 of 3 Posts