Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I thought everything was gravy on my car.... WRONG!
I was driving down the turnpike last night to meet up with a guy to buy his Powerdyne supercharger :)D) and all of a sudden my car shuts off while Im in the far lane!!! I had to wait for a tractor trailer to pass me then dive over 3 lanes while cutting everybody off to get to the shoulder....
The car had no spark!
As Im standing along side the road (waiting to get hit by another car) I pulled the #1 plug out and tested for spark at the coil and I got nothing! I was getting the correct voltage EVERYWHERE that I should have been! I tested the EEC relay down by the computer and it was getting good voltage, but it was very hot when I touched it! I also touched the ECU and it was very hot!!! I laid my cold gallon of Iced Tea against it to help cool it down.... once it was cool the car fired right up and drove!! The car died on me about 8 times total last night before I finally got it back home!! It only took about 15 minutes each time to cool down.
Also, Im not sure what my timing is set at, I adjusted it by hand without a timing gun (didnt have one) untill the car ran nice and smooth with no detonation. My car definitely lags in power unless Im at WOT. When I stomp on the gas I get a hassitation first. The car falls on its faces and then rockets off like a bat outta hell!!

Does anybody have a clue whats going on??

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Take the ECM out, and test the PINS's continuity and Ohms with a digital volt meter.
40-60
46-40
46-60

Here are the Pins on the ECM. Also you may wanna check the resistance on all the ECM grounds. There should be two by the Factory battery location, on the Inner fender well. Check them at the ECM connector harness, should have 0-5 ohms. ANother is below the ECM it self, make sure its hooked up.

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
Sounds like a bad ground to me, that's what I would check along with those pins.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.