Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i was looking to gain some insite and some advice to what i will need to do to accomplish this task.

I am looking at picking up a long block 351w out of a truck at a local shop, well its the complete motor minus the distributor and intake (someone abandoned the truck and then someone else stole those parts.
I have a wc t5 with a new bell housing ready and waiting at my mechanics shop, i also plan to sell the 5.0 i pull off and its headers to pay for the new intake manifold, carb, fuel pump, and distributor.

my questions are these, I am guessing the truck is a early 80's f150 ( i will know more tomorrow when i look at it) will the flywheel off of my 88 5.0 work on it?

What size carb will work best for a more or less stock 351. I plan on tuning it as best I can to get the most power, with complete disregard for fuel efficiency :gringreen

how difficult will it be to swap the fuel pump on the fox to a carb pump? SHould i just pick up a oem one from a mid 80's 5.0?

I know I will need swap headers, a new oil pan, and fuel lines. is there anything else i will need to worry about. I know the hood clearance will be an issue but i plan on either cutting the hood for the air filter and eventually getting a glass hood.

how can I check the motor to make sure it is still good, or what should look for to indicate it is bad? would it be worth my time to do a tear down of the motor and put all new gaskets and seals? ( i am guessing this is a yes) and are there any other problem items i should expect to run into.

I know this is a lot of questions. I am doing my research atm but i thought I would ask for some insite from those of you with the experience first.

Thanks.

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
First, no you can't use the 5.0 flywheel. It's a 50 ounce balance and the 351 has a 28 ounce.
For a carb on a stock to mild 351, stay with a 600-650.
You could get a 1985 Mustang pump and swap it over along with the regulator.
You'll also need 351 bracketry for your accessories, some swap kits have them, some don't. Make sure you get them.
If you could've done a compression test, that would've helped. But yes, doing a refresh of gaskets, seals, and so on would be good to do.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
alright i will have them do a compression test on it when i look at it tomorrow. i havn't bought it yet

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.