Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering where i could find the oil pressure sending unit on an 88 5.0. I'm doing an oil change and i would also like to clean the connector on the oil pressure sending unit. Just one problem, I don't know where it is. Any help would be appriciatied.:so

·
Registered
83 Posts
look behind the powersterring pump it will look like a acorn except bigger comes out of the block will have wire plug to it :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Find ur oil filter and then to the filter's immediate left...as stevo said looks like an acorn or a bell and there is one wire coming from it on the top...if in doubt, start ur car and carefully take the wire off...if your oil pressure goes to zero...u found it. It screws right off to replace, usually can remove it with hands.

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
It isn't hard to find.

It'll be on this bar on the drivers side of the timing cover. The unit is usually gold anodized.

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys i found it. The connector looks almost like a vacuum line. Well anyways i changed my oil and wiped off the oil pressure sending unit line and nipple. My gauge only reads about 2 lines above the red line (0) and it only kicks up a little bit when i give it some gas. It should be higher don't you think? Could i have a bad sending unit? Or are there other factors? Some that i've been curious about are if you overtighten the oil filter does that effect oil pressure? Also i just stripped the front oil pan drain plug. It's tight enough to were i can't turn it with my fingers but with a wrench it's real easy. I ran my car for about 10 minutes giving it some gas every once in a while and it doesn't seem to be leaking. Could that contribute to low oil pressure?

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
You'll definitely want to check out that low oil pressure. Parts wear out. Your pump could be going, the pickup could be clogged, etc.
My brother started complaining about his temperature gauge being broken. He said it always read hot. a couple weeks later he had a cracked head (It was a probe, so don't worry about a Mustang being neglected).
Moral of the story: the gauge is there to inform you. If it's not reading where it should, you probably have an actual problem.

·
Registered
396 Posts
oil pressure

I just don't trust the electronic sending unit types, I bought a little cheap insurance in an analog old fashion gage. Come to find out, it was a good thing, my factory gage reads LOW and doesn't respond as quick.

Once I blew the oil galley plug and saw it with the analog gage first.

It would be a quick and dirty way to see where your problem lies and rule out the electronics.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Yea I hate stock gauges!! They are always ******! I never trust them! I drove my car around for about a month before I bought an Autometer tach..... well, I always thought that I was cruizing around the streets at like 1,000 RPMs (stock tach).... come to find bout after i put in my Autometer tach that I was actually cruizing at 2,000 RPMs!! My stock tach reads a whole 1,000 RPMs less than the engine is actually spinning at!! Thats not good!! Im glad I never decided to rev the car out to the 6k reline with the stock tach!!!
Anyways, point is, I'd get some aftermarket gauges!! That way you know for sure your getting a correct reading before you think there is a problem with the engine when there might not be!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Does anyone know if the oil pressure gauge sender for the 90-93 is compatible with the 88?
They're listed as different units and don't look the same, but I've been trying to find out if it might be used. Is the thread the same, but different calibration for the output resistance?

I misplaced the original acorn shaped sender and was looking at a replacement from a later year.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Not an actual gauge sender-
Tested the pressure switch used for the 90-93 dummy gauges, and it switches full on at any pressure above 5 PSI. Does not provide an actual pressure indication.

·
Registered
3 Posts
To make use of the pressure switch add a 30 ohm resistor inline, and it'll turn the pressure gauge into a dummy gauge (one step down from an idiot light). It'll then show midscale whenever the engine's running, and zero if it loses all pressure.

<\soliloquy>

1 - 12 of 12 Posts