Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i have an 88 mustang gt that i have installed bbk shorty headers bbk cold air intake new plugs wires cap rotor bbk 255lph fuel pump fuel filter smog pump deleted ok now my problem is the car runs great when driving but as soon as you come to a stop or try to let it idle it will surge up and down till eventually dieing and the car smells very gasy idling in garage and is spiting fuel or water out cant really tell please help

·
Registered
625 Posts
Any check engine light?

Most common cause of idling issues is a dirty IAC.

When you removed the smog pump, did you make sure to cap everything off? any vacum leaks would cause a bad idle.

Other things to consider would be 02 sensors, if you can't remember how old they are then invest in a new set and go top of the line.

check your base timing before investing in anything though, do the free stuff first right? You should be at 10 degrees with the spout connector removed, speed density 5.0's love timing from my experience so you could try 14-18 degrees once you resolve your idling issues, my 88 LX kicked like a mule at 18 degrees and bolt on's and gears.

As far as bad or rich smell and water from exhaust, do you have cats? If you have cats then water is a normal byproduct, without cats then I don't have a clue. My car smells rich because I don't have cats, its just the incomplete combustion that would have been chemically taken care of by the cats is now going into the air.

Many people keep telling me I'm running too rich, I just laugh because my 95' GT runs awesome and gets over 20mpg average with an AODE in a 15 year old high mileage car, so I really don't think I'm dumping too much excess fuel, do you?

·
Registered
617 Posts
Fuel pressure is high. Check the regulator and the fuel return line and make sure there are no clogs or kinks. The line probably just got kinked when you put the tank back up after doing the pump. I speak from experience on this one.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok thanks guys i replaced the idle air control valve a few weeks ago and was better for little bit so im thinking i need to replace the throttle position sensor because i just checked it with my meter it isnt a voltage selectable but it measured 4.67 volts and for fuel pressure im around 40lbs do you think it could be running this way because im still speed density i gonna be doing mass air conv and turbo but i wanna get it running properly before turbo. the car is bbk headers straight to a glass pak no cats or x or h pipe this is way i bought car other then headers i installed them. it seems like once i put the headers and cai on is when it started acting up

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ck fuel presure with vaccum off. With the bigger pump it might have jumped on you. With vaccum off should be around 48-52 range. With the presure higher it's possoble to get more fuel even with the same injector pulse.
Try setting the base idle as well, bring up to temp, unplug iac. Screw throttle plate down untill car stalls. If it doesn't you probley have other issues (vaccum leak) Use scew on throttle plate to adjust idle to where u want it. Then set the tps voltage to .98 volts by moving the sensor back and fourth. You may have to file out the hole in the tps a little. I can't remember the color of the wires you check. Then disconnect the battery for aprox 20mins. Plug iac back in and connect battery. It took me two or there shots to make this work but my car is mass air and still a little cranky when cold. I hope this helps!!!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts