Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1988 gt convertible it has a t5 in it.When i go into fourth gear it starts to grind and then goes in to gear i am thinking it is the syncronizers for that gear should i rebuild whole transmission or just put syncronizers in it has 100k on it and i have a lot of noise through shifter. I have never rebuilt a transmission just r and i them can anybody direct me to a thread for rebuilding five speeds or do you guys think i should spend the money to have it bench built ?:scratchchin

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
time for a tear down and inspect, minimum scyncros and bearings, bigG

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys you just helped me alot do you think i should try to do it myself or do yall know anyone that you trust to do a bench build help !:scratchchin

G

·
you should pm the site resident tranny expert he will be able to help you .......

rj8806 (richard)....he is a great guy and really know his stuff

·
Registered
13,142 Posts
W/ all the loose bearings in the input shaft I wouldnt recommend trying this yourself. It only cost $750 to rebuild by a reputable shop, if you pull yourself.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
W/ all the loose bearings in the input shaft I wouldnt recommend trying this yourself. It only cost $750 to rebuild by a reputable shop, if you pull yourself.

I agree....if you've never rebuilt one, I wouldn't suggest trying it on your own. If you go to www.ttcautomotive.com and look under the heading of product literature, you can download the T5 service manual for free.
With 100K on it, I would rebuild the whole tranny. If you simply replace the syncros in 4th and put it back in, you'll be tearing it back out in no time to replace the rest.

Richard
Tech Support
Tremec TKO, T45 & T56 Transmission Systems

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i really appreciate your help with this problem it feels really good to talk to other people that care about the problems with the car that i love almost as much as my family ! ps if yall ever need any help with body paint or frame issues please let me know thanks again aj cates:shigrin

G

·
i really appreciate your help with this problem it feels really good to talk to other people that care about the problems with the car that i love almost as much as my family ! ps if yall ever need any help with body paint or frame issues please let me know thanks again aj cates:shigrin
that's what makes this site so very much better than all of the others.....
it all about the love of our cars....

the more time you spend here the more you will appreciate the place and the people, 99.9% of us leave our ego's at the door

i'm sure your expertise will be called on ......
thank for offering the help ........:bigthumbsup

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.