Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im getting fed up with my stang. Everytime i go to start it anymore its a gamble. Sometimes it starts right up turns like twice then fires but most of the time i go out to it and it just cranks and cranks but wont fire. Anybody have a clue of what the problem could be?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh and i have checked the spark and it has a good arch. Ive also used starter fluid directly into it to try and get compression but still just uses up the ether and dies out again.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
You have a Fuel problem for sure. It would need more diagnoses as to what though. WHen it doesnt start, Do you still have Spark? What Fuel Pump? There are a number of things, that can cause this. Electrical mostly.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah even when it dosnt start i still have spark i did the ol' screwdriver into the plug test on all wires and all were showing spark.

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
When you're cranking it, does the tach jump around or stay down like it should?

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
Then your problem is your distributor pickup, also called the Hall Effect sensor. You need a new one, you can get it at Auto Zone for $15-$20.
This is what tells the computer what injector to fire next and for how long. When it malfunctions, your car isn't running and it can shut off at any time. It'll really fail after it gets warm, and it'll leave you stranded; it'll even die if you're on the highway at speed because it acts like someone turned the key off. The tach jumping around is because of it's errant signal.

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
It's hasn't completely failed but it will eventually and just be dead. The electronics in it are burning out and it'll usually work better when it's cold. After it warms up, it'll get erratic again.
It's the part inside the distributor, where the module actually plugs into.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well that makes alot of sense caus ein the winter that baby would fire right up. Thanks alot man im gonna go out tomorow and get one and try it out.

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
It's possible, does it act the same way his does?

·
Registered
56 Posts
My car is acting the EXACT same way. The only difference is my tach doesn't jump around. Are there any reasons similar to the Hall Effect Sensor that could cause this?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.