Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all im just going to thank you for the help in advanced :bigthumbsup
so here is the story. I was bleeding my brakes one night and after finishing i went to test drive my car when it just starts bucking and slowly it just died. still had power and lights just ran crappy n wanted to die if i gave it gas. so next day it fires up but same issue when i gave it gas wanted to run like crap and stumble eventually it wouldnt start and i had it towed. I put a timing light on any spark plug wire and i got nada during cranking. I move the timing light to the coil wire and it flashes while cranking. Ive already replaced my distributor and tfi module. idk where else to look next? ECM? please help. ty.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Have you pulled the cap off to check the rotor button? I have seen them them fail/break before, also you coil wire may be bad down stream from where your testing and not getting juice to the cap.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Guys? any tips? where should i test on the ecm? again i have spark at the coil when cranking. spark just wont distribute (through distributor) ive already tried swapping coils as well, nada

·
Registered
708 Posts
Guys? any tips? where should i test on the ecm? again i have spark at the coil when cranking. spark just wont distribute (through distributor) ive already tried swapping coils as well, nada
Does not sound like a ecm problem.
What about the spark plug wires, how old are they?
You need a ohm meter to check for high resistance in the wires.
Don't overlook the basic stuff..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea i can hear the eec relay click and the fuel pump prime so i dont think the ecm is bad either. as far as the wires. they arent too old. maybe 5k on them? if that i know i changed them last year forsure. i just dont understand if it was the wires you would think it wouldnt have happened so randomly no? Im just baffled at how i can disconnect the coil wire and get a spark but not from the plug wire. id buy a new cap n rotor and wires but i dont think that is the issue

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I really really need help people! this is my daily and i have no transportation. someone please show me a sign! lol i have spark from the coil tower it just wont arc through the dizzy to the wires! idk why or how that is possible, cosidering plugs and wires and distributor and rotor are all new. this is frustrating me to say the least.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Did you have any issues prior to bleeding the brakes.... Bleeding the brakes shouldnt effect how your car runs. did you possibly disconect a wire, a vacum hose.. ect. Have you tried running the codes.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Start with your volt meter.... buy one if u dont have one.. check for power at the coil ....

If you have spark at coil u prob have it at plugs... put a spark plug in a plug wire and watch it while u crank

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Had zero issues before bleeding the brakes this was super random. im certain the issue is with the ignition system. As for my meter, it still works for voltage just not ohms. i have 12v at the coil + terminal and at the - terminal with koeo and my test light flashes when it grounds the - terminal during cranking. i can take the coil wire off the cap and hold it next to the block and crank it and it arcs. but nothing from the plug wires when i do the same. (with the coil wire back on the cap of course) all new cap rotor wires and plugs lol wtf man. only thing left to replace in the whole ignition system is the coil, which im skeptical to do because i snatched one off another ford. soooo idk guys im just stumped lol

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
oh and yes i have run the codes i got codes for low sig for the tp (which i checked and it is out of range a little. .89 v at idle and like 4-5 v at WOT) and other codes for my secondary air system which i am not concerned about lol

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
If u have spark at the coil, but none at the plug wires, that tells me.something is jacked up with your coil wire cap or rotor...power goes from the coil, through the cap...and to the rotor then the wires....

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
141 Posts
I know this is dumb, but make sure that the rotor is actually spinning. Also check the module. Sounds like your spark doesn't make it thru the dizzy. That kinda narrows it down.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
just put a new coil on as well and still nada. cap is good wires are new. but yea i totally agree but i dont understand how the distributor could not be working? TFI module is new. so is cap and rotor and yes the rotor spins ive even held my hand against it a little to make sure.

·
Registered
191 Posts
take you tfi and have it tested, most autoparts stores can do it. Im sure you've tried but just in case have you heald a plug wire to metal to check for spark, I know you said you were doing it with the trimming light... just curious.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts