Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey whats up guys im new to this...im having problems with my 88 gt 5speed..i was driving my car and at a red light it shut off. Now it wont start i changed the fuel pump,tfi module,oil change,battery,computer.
The car cranks but wont..my stereo,lights,ect work
and still have the same problem..do you guys have any clue what it coule be??

My car has msd setup,fordged pistons boared over to 306,pullys,upper and lower edelbrock,bbk cold air intake and throttle body,highflow waterpump,bbk fuel pressure indicator,24LB INJECTORS

·
Registered
166 Posts
do you have spark?

·
Registered
166 Posts
what i would do is pull the wire off the dizzy that comes from your coil and put a spark plug in it. ground it to the block and turn the key. dont shock yourself though. then if you got spark there id check the dizzy for spark.

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
Need to know one thing... does the tach jump around when you try to crank it?

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
The tach doesn't work? Chances are it's the ignition pickup inside the distributor then rather than the fuel pump or module. It's very common for it to fail, many here have had that problem and know about it.

It costs $20 at Auto Zone and will take a small charge by the machine shop to replace it for you unless you have a press to disassemble the distributor. The shaft has to come out of it to change the pickup, the last time I had to get a shop to change it they charged me $10.

When the pickup fails, it'll act like someone just turned the key off and it won't restart until it cools off. Once it warms up, it'll fail again even if you're going down the highway at speed. Sound like what's happening to yours?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
one more thing when i spray starting fluid it will stay on as long as i keep spraying it once i stop it will shut off..does that change your prediction on what it could be?

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
The pickup is what tells the computer what injector to fire next and for how long. If it's failing, the engine won't be getting proper fuel delivery so by spraying in starting fluid would make up for that. Stop spraying, it'll cause the engine to stop again.

Actually that makes it sound more like the pickup is your problem.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok im gona replace that part today...do you know what the part is actuall called cuz i tried seaching it online at autozone but it doesnt come up on thier system...

·
Registered
46,010 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hey i pulled out my distributor and the distributor drive gear was wasted..so i changed the whole distributor and it started but i turned it of and it wont start again...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.