Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 1988 mustang thats been sitting for a long time and I want to remove the fuel from the tank and refill it before I get it back on the road. Any ideas on how I can do this?

R

·
0 Posts
I have an 1988 mustang thats been sitting for a long time and I want to remove the fuel from the tank and refill it before I get it back on the road. Any ideas on how I can do this?

Easiest way is to drop the tank.....

should take more than a couple of hour including cleaning the tank......

·
Registered
40 Posts
How and what would you use to clean tank?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Well depending how dirty your tank is Buy one gallon of muratic acid from the pool cleaning section at Home Depot, thats if your tank is extremely dirty or if you have rust in there from decomposed fuel left over time. I actually did this method on a Mustang II Helped my dad out a lot. But that acid can be very expensive like $50 a gallon. The common route get the acetone and pour it in drained the tank,put 1 gal of acetone in it and sloshed it around,do the same 2 more times.then shine a flashlight inside tank,to make sure it was clean. then filled tank with soapy water 3 or 4 times,sloshing it around . then turn tank upside down,drained and flushed tank with clean water. after draining as much water from tank as possible,i left the tank in the sun,with the cap off until it dried. worked great. hope this works

·
Registered
391 Posts
Didnt you post at another forum? I think I posted there. I would just siphon most of it out. A little old with new will not hurt the car. I started my 89 up after sitting and it ran like ****, but put new gas in it and its fine.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
However u do it, be sure to change that filter!

·
Registered
956 Posts
how old is the gas?? change the filter and drive it around, just go easy on it, the gas will burn....

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
My way is pull the inlet line loose in the engine bay and hook a line on it running into a gas can and hot wire the fuel pump from under the hatch carpet...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.