Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '88 LX 5.0 that has been running great since 88. Lately, however, I have been having intermittent starting problems. When I try to start the car, I can hear a grinding noise and the car will not start. If I keep trying I can eventually get the car to start and then everything is fine for the next few starts until the problem repeats itself. The Battery and cables are practically brand new. Think I might have a starter that is in need of replacement. Any thoughts. All help is appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
40,152 Posts
welcome to the site,enjoy!!!! it sounds like the starter is going bad.

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
Definately sounds like the starter to me. The bendix has a problem and it could be rebuilt easily, in about 10 minutes. Most just go for a new one though, good time for an upgrade.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks much for all the quick help...this site is awesome. I have been a mustang owner ('76 V6, '78, '85GT, '88LX) for many years...too bad I have only been a member of this site for 2 days...I'll let you know how things turn out

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
what is a bendix?

·
Registered
113 Posts
the bendix is what pops the gear out on the starter so it mesh's with the teeth on the fly wheel. if the bendix is ****, then it doest have the grunt to mesh, so it just grinds against your fly wheel.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Thanx for the response special.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.