Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my A/C off and i bought a shorter belt but it rubs on the fan pully where it connects with the belt and the the tensaner part of the belt going from the power stearing pully up too the tensaner pully, now im just wondering if i can use my old A/C unit just for the pully and just use the stock belt that way it wont rub on anything is that possable too use still even after i took it out and dissconcted all the hoses?? so i wanna put the old ac back in

·
Registered
71 Posts
Do you still have the tensioner in the car?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah i sure doo i only took the A/C unit out but i wanna put it back in and just leave it there just for the pully, would that work? like its not connceted to anything no hoses or anything i just want it for the pully and the pully only will it work?

·
Registered
71 Posts
My friend had an '86 5.0L that had tha A/C removed. If you want to run without the A/C unit in the car, remove the tensioner as well and find a belt to fit. You'll have to use the alternator to put tension on the belt. If you want to run the A/C as just a pulley you can. This will not hurt performance and allow you to use a stock belt. Be sure to disconnect the ac switch right above the pulley to prevent it from engaging the compressor.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Also if you have the money you can check around for an A/C delete. It's just a bracket with a pulley that lines up in the stock location. I don't know off hand where you can get one but Google it and you should be able to find one.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I think auburnbull meant the connector on top of the compressor that supplies power to engage the clutch. Also if the low pressure switch that is located on the drier is unplugged, the compressor would not work either. He also mentioned an A/C delete kit, you can get one from Ford Racing. It is a new set of brackets that relocates the power steering pump higher so the shorter belt clears the water pump pulley.

·
Registered
45,766 Posts
Is the power steering still in the same location? You could get the Ford Racing AC eliminator kit and it'll raise the pump up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.