Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, im new to the forums so i hope that this will help.
I recently bought a 1988 Mustang 2.3L for $500, it needs some work but i am going to college for General Mechanics so i have no problem working on it, because i like to learn. There is a few things i want to ask you all about it.

-Did the 88 Come with a sunroof? the guy siliconed it shut because it leaked
-How could i cheaply boost the power
- What motors could i swap into it? Something from a thunderbird maybe?
-Do i have to worry if i need to pass someone or climb up a large hill? as i live in the mountains.
-Is the power good enough to get by? its my first car and i am not the best with a standard but you think it would be alright to practice on?
-also What do you think?

I really don't care what kind of motor gets swapped into it, jsut as long as it has at least 140bhp and lb-ft. I was even thinking of swapping a 88 2.9L into it.

Here's a Video.
Any Help or Suggestions would be apprecieated.

YouTube - 88 Mustang I4 $500

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had a 85 stang with the 2.3 I put a 4 speed in it and it did alot beter than the 5 speed my friend had but it did just fine and not bad on gas either and if u Gona swap engines u can buy a motor mount kit to put a 5.0 right in it

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had a 85 stang with the 2.3 I put a 4 speed in it and it did alot beter than the 5 speed my friend had but it did just fine and not bad on gas either and if u Gona swap engines u can buy a motor mount kit to put a 5.0 right in it
Yeah but where am i gonan find a 5.0L? Around here they are quite expensive. im looking for something cheap, i just want something that has at least the same power as a 88 ranger.

·
Registered
23 Posts
1. I think they did come with a sunroof (some did, though I'm not positive). As to it leaking, check the seal itself, and the sunroof drain tubes (I've seen these clog, and cause sunroofs to leak).

2. Things I've heard from others here - Remove the air intake silencer, or better yet, make a Cold air intake (not sure on power gains for this). Exhaust manifold from a 95-97? ranger 2.3 is a direct fit, and flows better than a stock manifold (though the EGR tube is a different size).

3. Depending on what you want to do, I know a popular swap is to get a 2.3 turbo from a 1986-87 thunderbird turbocoupe (I think they're about 150 hp stock, and can be modded for lots more. More info here 87-90 Mustang Turbo Swap Wiring Info

3. I've had a 1992 2.3 'vert since I was 16, it's definitely no 5.0 but it does ok (your 5-speed probably is better than mine, it's auto)

4. These are pretty easy to learn standard on (I learned on my 5.0). A couple of days, and you should pick it up easy.

Sorry for the load of answers, just thought I'd try to help you out.

If you need any more info., just ask. Most people on here will help you out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1. I think they did come with a sunroof (some did, though I'm not positive). As to it leaking, check the seal itself, and the sunroof drain tubes (I've seen these clog, and cause sunroofs to leak).

2. Things I've heard from others here - Remove the air intake silencer, or better yet, make a Cold air intake (not sure on power gains for this). Exhaust manifold from a 95-97? ranger 2.3 is a direct fit, and flows better than a stock manifold (though the EGR tube is a different size).

3. Depending on what you want to do, I know a popular swap is to get a 2.3 turbo from a 1986-87 thunderbird turbocoupe (I think they're about 150 hp stock, and can be modded for lots more. More info here 87-90 Mustang Turbo Swap Wiring Info

3. I've had a 1992 2.3 'vert since I was 16, it's definitely no 5.0 but it does ok (your 5-speed probably is better than mine, it's auto)

4. These are pretty easy to learn standard on (I learned on my 5.0). A couple of days, and you should pick it up easy.

Sorry for the load of answers, just thought I'd try to help you out.

If you need any more info., just ask. Most people on here will help you out.
naaah you were a good help, you open up some doors for me. so yeah thanks for the info, anything else that could make the car better in any way would be good to know too.
i plan on driving it as a daily driver, without it being super expensive. thanks though.

·
Registered
400 Posts
yes that would be a good daily driver. if it doesnt rust apart while you are driving. stick is easy to learn when its all you got. just practice practice practice and on a car like this itll be cake. read the stickys at the top. and you should be set to go.

·
Registered
283 Posts
lol hey buddy i own a 89 mustang turbo swap and live less then 30 mins away from you in nelson i took the same course your taking 2 years ago btw in that course you dont get much time to work on your own car at all

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
lol hey buddy i own a 89 mustang turbo swap and live less then 30 mins away from you in nelson i took the same course your taking 2 years ago btw in that course you dont get much time to work on your own car at all
oh yeah? well i would just work on my car this summer or whenever i have time. i was thinking of checking out Western Auto Wreckers. i think my brother works there so he might get a bit of a discount. after all, he said he might help me get the car restored. what colour is your mustang? i might have seen it around.

·
Registered
283 Posts
white with turbine wheels. i believe there is another yellow mustang at western right now i forget the year though. and theres a white one that looks exactly like mine its a 87 tho if you see that car thats my buddies old car dont pull any engine parts off lol nothing is good under there its a wonder that car even ran. i actually own two mustangs the other one is a 84 with a 351w c4 trans in it. have you taken the course yet or do you start in september? and for the guy that suggested a 5.0 swap it would be much more expensive up here not very many left in the area. Scrap king in salmo happens to have a complete 87 turbo coupe sitting in their yard running too.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
white with turbine wheels. i believe there is another yellow mustang at western right now i forget the year though. and theres a white one that looks exactly like mine its a 87 tho if you see that car thats my buddies old car dont pull any engine parts off lol nothing is good under there its a wonder that car even ran. i actually own two mustangs the other one is a 84 with a 351w c4 trans in it
cool, maybe ill see you around. well you ahve probably seen my brother around then. maybe i will see you around some time.

·
Registered
283 Posts
cool, maybe ill see you around. well you ahve probably seen my brother around then. maybe i will see you around some time.
If you do see me around driving my stang dont be afraid to come up and say hi ill show you what a turbo swap stang looks like

·
Registered
283 Posts
well im kinda the resident expert on 80's mustangs in nelson sadly enough

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.