Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if its a head gasket issue, but when ever i rev up the car 3000+ rpm, white smoke comes out of the tail pipes. I changed my oil and coolant, the oil is not milky, and the coolant is fine. Can anyone help me diagnose whats causing the white smoke?

·
Registered
110 Posts
white smoke=coolant
blue smoke=oil
prob your head gasket

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
Dumb question but are you sure it's white smoke and not steam caused by condensation in the pipes?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea its smoke, even when the car is at running temperature it smokes. When i give it a lot of gas, I can see the smoke in my rearview mirror. My oil doesnt burn, and its not the milky color, so im wondering if theres a coolant leak somewhere

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
Sounds like a small one run a compression test overnight on the cooling system

·
Registered
508 Posts

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
If it is coolant the exhaust will smell quite distinctly acrid, and very strong. A high pressure leak in a head gasket won't always mix oil and coolant. A section of gasket between the water jacket and cylinder is probably split.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If it is coolant the exhaust will smell quite distinctly acrid, and very strong. A high pressure leak in a head gasket won't always mix oil and coolant. A section of gasket between the water jacket and cylinder is probably split.
Yea, it has a strong smell, but its a mixture of something..i might go to a shop and have them run a compression test. How much r those tests anyways?

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
they shouldnt be much at all. Run a compression test on each cylinder. They should all be close to each other (10 maybe 15%).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.