Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 88 5.0 having problem with the oil pump.I replaced it a month ago drove it twice lock up again.It twisted the rod but I checked the oil pump and it will not turn do anyone have any idea what could be the problem?

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Sounds like the oil pump sucked up something it couldn't digest and siezed up. Did you take the time to disassemble the oil pump, clean it and blueprint it before installing it? Oil pumps are notorious for coming off the production line full of metal dust and shavings, so even if you don't blueprint it, you still should pull apart a new pump and clean it very well with something like brake cleaner then mineral spirits to get all the brake cleaner out.

Also, it's not a bad idea to 'prime' the oil pump by giving all the parts a nice coating of assembly lube while you have the pump apart.

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
The small block Ford oil pumps are notorious for locking up for practically no reason. Some pumps may have small burrs on the rotors, or have some funk from the production process because they're not concerned with cleanliness when they ship them out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info and no I didn't do any of those thing before putting it on.So you don't think there could be anything else?

·
Registered
978 Posts
take them apart and look whats gone on..

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
It's hard to say because I've had one lock up all of a sudden, and there was no visible reason when I took the rotor cover off.

·
Registered
956 Posts
be sure the oil pan is nice and clean

·
Registered
153 Posts
20 yrs ago I built a 302 for a lowered 88 Ranger (Back in my minni truck days) The first mistake I made was installing a high volume pump in a stock pan. The only thing that saved me was I installed a pro light for low oil pressure. Every time I got on the truck hard, took a turn, or sonetimes breathing wrong would cause the light to flash...
Changing the pump to a factory unit solved all the problem. LEsson learned: Bigger is not always better.

Man I loved that truck... bad part was I went through C4 Transmissions like every few months... Even had a guy close to MIR who builds race transmissions go through it.. I tore that up too...

Not the most power in the world but so light it was hell on the street.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.