Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon Ladies and Gentlemen. I have had my Mustang for almost 2 months now. I have been working 7 days a week and hardly get to drive it right now. So, I go for a drive this morning and after about 50 miles I make a stop. Then when I tried to start my car, it cranks over like crazy but I have no spark. I put a new coil and coil wire on it because I was close to an auto parts store. I checked fuses, I checked every connection I could find. I have 12 volts going to the coil! No luck! 4 hours, a roll back, 50 miles back and $100 later, my only day off in 3 weeks has not been the best. Ok, enough whining......

So here's a question, does my 88 Mustang 5.0 have a crank trigger? What else could be causing this,..... ECM? I don't have manual for the car as of yet so today I am relying on you guys. Thanks, Troy

·
Registered
389 Posts
Good afternoon Ladies and Gentlemen. I have had my Mustang for almost 2 months now. I have been working 7 days a week and hardly get to drive it right now. So, I go for a drive this morning and after about 50 miles I make a stop. Then when I tried to start my car, it cranks over like crazy but I have no spark. I put a new coil and coil wire on it because I was close to an auto parts store. I checked fuses, I checked every connection I could find. I have 12 volts going to the coil! No luck! 4 hours, a roll back, 50 miles back and $100 later, my only day off in 3 weeks has not been the best. Ok, enough whining......

So here's a question, does my 88 Mustang 5.0 have a crank trigger? What else could be causing this,..... ECM? I don't have manual for the car as of yet so today I am relying on you guys. Thanks, Troy
Sounds like it could be something like the ignition control module, ballast resistor or distributor pickup heating up too much. If you don't have spark when it's hot but do when it's cold that'd indicate that one of those might be worn out and heating up too much.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Anyone out there that can shed some light? Thanks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I appreciate the reply. I tried for probably 3 hours after the car had last run and still nothing. I will look into that. Thanks.

·
Registered
389 Posts
And no your car wouldn't have a crank trigger from the factory the pickup is in the distributor. If your car was setup for competition drag racing and has a complete all out aftermarket engine management system you might have one.

·
Registered
389 Posts
You can get the ballast resistor for 10$, the pickup for 15$ and the icm for 20$ on rockauto.com if you wanna eliminate them as a possibility. There's a way to check them with a volt meter I'm sure but with something so cheap I usually replace it if it has 200k+ miles on the car. And if the distributor pickup is worn it's best IMHO to change the whole thing out cause the bearings in it are probably worn out too.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all of the info guys. I have a few things to look at. I appreciate the help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts