Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could really use some help. First off this is a daily driver, never been to the track and probably not going to. I just put a motor in my brothers 88 5.0 HO, the motor had 80K on it and had been sitting for a couple years so we did all new gaskets and put ported e7 heads on it. re-used all the lifters and pushrods and rocker arms from the motor, inspected all pushrods and they were straight, lifters seemed ok, not sure how to test them? When we put it all together and started it, it ticked and idled very rough, tick gets louder if you gas it. only ran it for a 10 15 seconds. So my question is what do i look for when i take the valve covers off? how do i know whats ticking? lifter, rocker loose, or bent pushrod? any help would be great, Thanks in advance.

Car has smog delete, ported e7 heads, CAI, gt40 intake, shorty headers, and off road H pipe. and its a california mas car.

·
Registered
13,142 Posts
loose rocker or lifters. If the lifters werent soaking while they were out then they need replaced.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, would that cause the rough idle as well? it has no vacume leaks and the timing is on but runs like crap.

·
Registered
13,044 Posts
Does it do anything to its breathing?
WHAT!?!?!?

Make sure your rockers are not loose and it may be a lifter that is collapsed. Like junky said they recommend that you soak them overnight in oil.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts