Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, heres my problem. I bought a 88 Mustang Gt 5spd it started and ran just fine for a few days, but while I was driving it would hesitate hard like it was shake the whole car and rock me really hard. Then yesterday I drove it for 25 miles(the whole time it was doing the same thing as described as above) Then I went to stop and it stalled out on me and wouldnt start. It still wont start and I dont know why. When I would rev it in neutral it sounded fine, no hesitation, no missing, backfiring. It only did it while I was in gear. Any help will be greatly appericated. :frustrated:

·
Registered
457 Posts
When you try to start it, does it turn over at all? How's the oil look? Were your gauges doing anything when it was jerking? Any warning lights?

·
Registered
457 Posts
Kinda sounds like it jumped time on you. Could be wrong though if it was running fine while idling. That leads me to believe the motor is starving for fuel. Turn your key on to see if you hear your fuel pump prime. You could have a bad pump, fuel filter, or relay. I'd check all those area's. Let me know what you find.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I replaced the ignition coil no spark at plug fuel pump primes for 2 to 3 seconds i replaced the fuel filter and still was jumpin like i described.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Sounds like to me Your distributor is stuck - Almost like the advance is not working ** like a spring is streched or broken. (something like that)

I rebuilt the distributor in my '68 firebird back 10 years or so ago-and after I rebuilt the distributor the engine was performing with the same issues.

- I think I was trying to change the springs and weights. *that's exactly what I was doing. I read some article in "HOT ROD" or "CAR CRAFT" about lost hp. I'm pretty sure that's what I was trying to accomplish. -

After I rebuilt a perfectly fine GM HEI distributor with the new springs and weights it, like I said, it performed pretty much as you are describing. I do remeber the firechicken sounded ok in park, but, when I put it in drive it just sorta laid down It kinda seemed like It didnt know what cylinder it was firing, Shaking Like it was 180 degrees out but not that bad. I do remeber that's what it seemed like. -

That night I took it back apart and put it back exactly like it was before I touched it and whaalaa. It performed great (like I was used to)- AND You know I wasnt satisfied (that article said there was hidden HP, I had to see)-- the next week or so I ended up calling Barnetts in Atlanta and ordered the Mallory Unilite, coil, and box. The article was spot on. There was HP and TQ I was missing! That was the begining of the tire shredding, nos and all the stuff that goes along with that at 2:30am a few nights a week. I was young then I didnt know the way. Now, I think the Lord everyday for allowing me to walk in his footsteps and for sending Jesus to die for me and my sins.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just recently had the same problem... I replaced the fuel pump and it cranked right up... Check for 35 to 45 psi at you schrader valve. and make sure the vacuum line from the back of the drivers side head cover to the intake manifold is attached.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts