Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need a little help. I have a ’88 Mustang GT that I’ve converted from FI to carb. My set up is a ford duraspark distributor for a ’78 Mustang, and a MSD 6AL box. I put in the distributor and wired everything up. I had a local mechanic come by and check out my wiring. He bumped the solenoid with a screwdriver just to see if there was spark. (Which of course caused my crank to turn). But he told me that I had the wrong cap. I went down to the parts store and picked up the right basket and cap for the distributor. The problem is the number one terminal was in a totally different location. There was no terminal lined up directly with the original #1 position. So I placed the #1 wire on the terminal closet to that location, and placed the rest of the wires. Tried starting the car and got two backfires, and now nothing. Car not turning over at all. I believe that just may be due to a weak battery and the alternator is not running the belt, because I had to remove the AC to make room for the vacuum advance on the distributor, but what would cause the backfire and how do I compensate for the caps having the number one in a different location?

Not quite sure how to find TDC now that the crank has been turned and I dont have a reference point.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts