Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are some pretty simple modifications one can do to gain a bit more horsepower from the engine?

I am shy on money, so until I get a solid income I am looking for the cheapest engine mods possible.

Thanks!

·
Registered
41,829 Posts
Welcome to Afm. How much are you looking to spend on it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to Afm. How much are you looking to spend on it.
Hey, thanks! I think I'll be here for a while.

Quick backstory:

Have rebuilt from the head up, including electrical. I am currently replacing the starter as we speak.

I worked at a mill, and got laid off.

I am only 17, so I am only currently interested in spending about 150-300 at a time.

I am saving for a V6 2000 model, but right now anything to get more juice out of the 2.3 is my mindset.

I heard removing the air silencer gives you a 2HP boost as well as a cool sound lol.

·
Registered
654 Posts
i've replaced the air filter to k&n, removed the air inlet tube and replaced it with pipe, removed both cat's ( not recomended, replace with highflow cat) and have a thrush muffler.wind's out pretty good just not alot of power at high rpm.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i've replaced the air filter to k&n, removed the air inlet tube and replaced it with pipe, removed both cat's ( not recomended, replace with highflow cat) and have a thrush muffler.wind's out pretty good just not alot of power at high rpm.
What makes a difference between tube and pipe? Is it not as direct with a tube?

I really don't know what I am saying hahaha. :happyhapp

·
Registered
654 Posts
yes, more direct flow. start with a tune up and use autolite or ford motorcraft plugs, they work the best, nothing platnium or anything.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As I look into the stupid Ford plastic tubing, there is supposed to be a silencer in there. What does it look like and how does the average joe get it out safely?

I know there is a sticky about it, but it didn't have quite enough information.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Yeah, stock 2.3's run outta ba!!s at about 4500 rpms. I drag race mine, and I think the most significant gain I got was a good tune-up, and learning how to drive it.
When I started racing it 3 yrs ago, it was running 12.79 seconds @ 52mph. Today, its a solid 12.10 @56mph. It HAS made a 12.04 pass.:scratchchin Don't know where THAT came from, but I liked it. I also race with the hood removed, to save weight.
Read my sig, and you'll see anything else I've done.

·
Registered
654 Posts
when looking into the large can that says's ford on it, you'll see little divots inside the tube, that's the piece you're removing, i used a flat head and needle nose plyers, the insert with the divots overlaps the ends of the can, get a screwdriver under the flap and bend it up, then stick the needlenose in and pull as hard as you can, there's a piece on either side and they clip together, if you can see clearly to the other side they've already been removed.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
when looking into the large can that says's ford on it, you'll see little divots inside the tube, that's the piece you're removing, i used a flat head and needle nose plyers, the insert with the divots overlaps the ends of the can, get a screwdriver under the flap and bend it up, then stick the needlenose in and pull as hard as you can, there's a piece on either side and they clip together, if you can see clearly to the other side they've already been removed.
Thanks! Yeah, perfect. It got it out.

:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
645 Posts
Depending on the year a Rangewr Roller cam. IIRC 89-93 already have it. Aswell as a Ranger header or if you can find one a 79-80 header. All those listed can be had for atleast 50-low 100 dollars I'm sure. IF its in your budget a MAF conversion and bigger TB(need intake). Oh unhook your knock sensor so your car wont throw trouble codes when its getting a higher stoichiometric ratio than it should.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.