Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could someone help me out. I just bought a 1989 5.0 and the water pump gave out so since i was already inside the engine i decided to change the timing chain but while in the process of removing all of this i kind of broke some bolts. Does anyone know where i can go to find replacements? And do i realy have to drop the oil pan in order to replace the chain because i really dont want to pull the engine out.:headscratch:

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Do a search on this site about waterpump bolts..there was a specific thread about this...I remember its a real pain finding the right ones...even the ones you get from stores are usually the wrong ones. Sorry I couldnt help more.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hey There! Did you break any of the bolts off on the motor? I re did my whole motor a couple months ago and was able to get all the correct bolts from ACE Hardware Grade 8 Bolts. Depends on if you are still running smog you may need the OEM bolt/stud. Also remember to get washers and lock washers and be VERY SURE not to install two long of bolts back in the timing chain cover because I made that mistake and overtightened a bolt and broke it off. As far as the timing chain cover there are articles everywhere showing how to do the change without dropping the pan. Be sure to stuff a rag in the opening of the oil pan so nothing drops in there, and then proceed to clean all gasket surfaces real well. Next you need to buy a new oil pan gasket but you will only be using the ends of it where it aligns with the Timing Chain Cover. Measure the two pieces correctly and then cut them off. These pieces will need to have a bead of RTV sealant on each side to ensure no leaks. Then bolt everything back up and test for leaks.

·
Registered
185 Posts
i think summit has a whole kit that comes with all new bolts.as for the timing cover, you have to go under the car and remove the two 1/2 bolts that are in front of pan.those 2 bolts bolt into your cover.and the other guy said the rest.good luck

·
Registered
185 Posts
oh,,or go to the junk yard and get the bolts you need.

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
The reason they broke off is due to getting rusty, it's really common for them to break. You could try to find stock bolts, upgrade them to Grade 8, buy some ARP bolts, or even use threaded rods for the long thin bolts which are the ones that are first to break. When you eventually get new material in there, use some thread sealant and that will help them from getting so rusty.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I noticed that your car has the egr deleted ive been looking into deleting the egr on mine but i can not find a straight answer on how to do it the right way. Can you tell me what i need to throw away and what i need to keep?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts