Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is driving me nuts guys! And it's a short trip:heha:. I commute daily up and down a Mountain road with a 4,000 ft. elevation change and about a 10°-15° temperature difference. The fuel (storage) system has been building up excess pressure and relieving itself through the cap, which fills up the fuel door area and subsequently drains through a tube right next to the exhaust tip.

First I visually inspected the line to the charcoal canister and replaced the gas cap, which seemed to fix it for a few days, but the problem once again reared it's ugly head. On Monday I installed a new vapor release valve, sending unit, seals, and filler neck grommet from LRS. Next trip back up the mountain, I noticed a fuel smell again and pulled over to investigate. Sure enough, fuel was pooled up and draining in the fuel door compartment again.

To make matters worse, I found major holes in my tailpipe right over the gas tank and can not afford new ones until mid August. I would just drive the '07 but it needs struts, tires, smog, and $300 CA registration. I have tried a few times to break my own heart and sell the Fox, but nobody wants to give me a realistic price. I get unsolicited offers of $3500 plus in the ghetto all the time, but nobody ever seems to actually have the cash when it comes time. As for the '07, that one's not going anywhere. It was my very first (and last) brand new car and saw me through divorce, unemployment, renters and foreclosure.

To say the least, my Mustang situation is in a sad, sad state. If you guys have any ideas (even wild ones) about what could be causing this, PLEASE fire them off. As always, thanks in advance.

·
Registered
621 Posts
To say the least, my Mustang situation is in a sad, sad state. If you guys have any ideas (even wild ones) about what could be causing this, PLEASE fire them off. As always, thanks in advance.

The charcoal canister purges to the manifold vacuum through a solenoid.

If I were in your position, I would follow the canister vacuum line to the purge valve. I would bypass that valve with a piece of tubing so the canister purges all the time. If that valve stays closed, the canister will never purge.

Also if a line is pinched or plugged, it could cause your problem

If you can blow a little air into the tank through a T with a fuel pressure gauge as a low pressure monitor, you can pressure test the system and see that it leaks down when you open the hose end at the canister. I have a tester I built from an old cheap fuel gauge, a T, and some vacuum hoses. I just push a little air into it with a paint gun air regulator to test lines. You could pressurize the tank with a wad of damp rags over the filler tube and a hose stuck through them.

There might be a check valve on the tank, but I am not positive about that. The thing I'm thinking of on my old tank might just be an angle fitting for the vapor hose connection, but it sort of looked like a valve. That might be what you already changed, but the canister has to purge to the engine vacuum through a solenoid valve.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1 - 3 of 3 Posts