Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so heres the thing... I have a 1989 Mustang GT 5.0 HO which i just recently pulled and built the engine top, bottom and everything between. I kept everything internal stock. I only added a cold air intake and underdrive pulleys. I also did away with the smog system and replaced the pump with a free spinning pulley. While i was at it i replace the fuel lines, rail and injectors. Also the distributor, cap, rotor button, coil, wires, and am now running autolite double platinum plugs. When i first tried to fire it up the timing was off so i got it set to spec and it quit back firing but now its popping back through the intake, dumping fuel and filing plugs. Well I replace the fuel pressure regulator because all i had was 10lbs of fuel pressure. and now its not dumping fuel but its still popping back through and running like ish... it has all new sensors so i know none could be the problem but i have been told that i am probally off timing a tooth or two on the chain n gears... any thoughts or suggestions? would be greatly appreciated becuz im walking untill i get it fixed... i just dont want to have to pull the front off the engine if i dont have too.... thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also I went through three different fuel pumps before the parts house got it right... and the filter is new as well...

·
Banned
12,436 Posts
two suggestions: What fuel injectors are you running now? Are they calibrated to your mass air and ECU?
2nd, are you sure you have the firing order correct? Double check the wires

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea... the firing order is right... it has a 351w cam and ive triple checked it over and over... and i got the injectors from summit... dont remember right off which ones the are but they are the factory 19lb injectors

·
Banned
12,436 Posts
contact whoever sold you the cam and find out the firing order

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
Now I am confused as to what you are building.....if it's a 1989 5.0 HO there is no 351 cam in there.

·
Registered
561 Posts
if you stab a 351 windsor cam in a 5.0 this could be the issue, also if you put a timing chain in a tooth off cam to crank your dizzy will be a mile out trying to compensate for it, check to see the firing order for the cam it may be different than the ho firing order as that was different from a regular 5.0 then make dang sure the timing chain is on correct and as was said earlier check to see the injectors and mass air are correctly calibrated, there is more that can be causing this than i think you are aware of

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
The cam is fine. 351w and later 302s have the same firing order. You guys should know this.

Now wether or not its installed correctly is a different story. But being a "351w cam" is not his issue.

Cam timing
Vacuum leak
Bad Mass Air

I would run codes first and make sure its not a wiring issue since all sensors are new.

·
Registered
174 Posts
sounds like cam is a tooth out of time, a valve is not adjusted correctly, or you have the firing order wrong.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts