Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I have a 1989 GT automatic. When I use the A/C and go idle in traffic the alternator goes very low. If I don't rev the engine, it won't start when turned off (dead or weak) I replaced the alt for a rebuilt unit and replace under pulley for the stock one but still the same problem. My mechanic checked the alt and battery and everything looks good. Could be the battery? It looks too small for the base. Any suggestion?
Thank for any help.
Jose

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Charging issues: check your grounds. Remove them, clean behind them with a wire brush, and reconnect. Check them all.

If you've installed anything more than stock(Amp, bigger stereo, speakers, ect) it is generally suggested to do a 3g upgrade. The stock alternator for the Fox is pretty weak.

·
Registered
268 Posts
It could also be the case that your battery is draining when your car is off. When it's off, check to see what kind of current is flowing (if you have an AMMETER) immediately after its turned off and maybe half an hour after. Unless of course you mean it doesn't start right after it was just running, in which case I would suspect the battery.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts