Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would like to increase the stiffness of the rear springs; to raise rear, and/or minimize the amount of tail sag.

1989 Hatchback [I think LX], 4 cyl 2.3, 5 speed transmission.

This is not a show car, but a practical economy car used for carrying lots of tools and materials; don't want the tail to sag. Are there stiffer, or taller springs available? are they common on, perhaps another vehicle that will interchange with what is already there?

thanks,

LarryR : )

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
You might see some improvement just by replacing the original springs. They've spent the last 21 years under there and have lost some of there original capacity.

The rear springs share the same part number between the 2.3 and the 5.0 so there's really no gain in asking for 5.0 springs.

You could always throw a pair of air shocks at it. Although they were popular back in the day for raising the rear end to stuff fat tires out back, the original intent of the air shock was to help with heavy loads.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Two things; rear shocks and notifications

You might see some improvement just by replacing the original springs. They've spent the last 21 years under there and have lost some of there original capacity.

The rear springs share the same part number between the 2.3 and the 5.0 so there's really no gain in asking for 5.0 springs.

You could always throw a pair of air shocks at it. Although they were popular back in the day for raising the rear end to stuff fat tires out back, the original intent of the air shock was to help with heavy loads.
Thanks.

Two things; off topic, I know, but how can I arrange to "get notified" that this "question was answered" in my email? I had to just pop back in to see if it WAS answered; so thanks for that. [ooops; found it now for email notification at the bottome, here]

Secondly; I'm an old man so style is not a factor, but I hear of other people doing "coils over shocks"? don't know what it is except that they are doing it for "show" or to accommodate some "customizing" issue, right?

Does that "lower" it, or "raise" it, or both options? does that add "stiffness"?

Thanks.

LarryR : )

·
Registered
155 Posts
Coil over type shocks may not work due to the limited space and they way the are mounted. I like the idea of airshocks... but make sure that each one has its own air valve, or the air will just change back and forth each shock on the turns. My springs have the same problem due to loading too much garb in the trunk and car.

:worshipHail Almighty 2.3L!

P.S. I just saw a coil over set for this car offerred at www.americanmuscle.com so a coil over will work... to bad they want $749.99 for it!:what::what::surprised

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Uhh, coilovers are preferred by folks not only for their adjustability and weight savings, but for their compact package. You can fit spring and shock in roughly the same space as the shock.

As for separate valves for air shocks left to right? They need to be tied together to balance the pressure between the two. Could be why the plumbing supplied by the manufacturer contains one fitting and a tee. :winks

·
Registered
230 Posts
chandler are you sure about the v8 springs if l remember the v8s had an extra coil and was thicker or that could have been the front?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.