Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on replacing the lower control arm bushings and balljoints, but in the chiltons it says you have to replace the whole control arm and you can't replace just the bushings and balljoint. I don't have the money to replace the whole control arm and the ones on the car are solid and theres no rust on them. But the balljoint is starting to go bad. Can anyone give me info on this Thanks in advance

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
As far as I know, you can replace the bushings and balljoints without having to get a new arm. It's a lot of hammering but it can be done.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Yes, you can replace your balljoints and control arm bushings. You will need a ball joint removal tool or a press. If you don't have either, take the control arms to a local shop and have them press the old ball joints and bushings out and press the new ones in. Just be sure to pick up a quality pair of ball joints and use a good synthetic grease. If you factor in the price of a quality pair of ball joints, polyurethane replacements bushings or Global West's Del-A-Lum, you will be saving yourself some money. I rebuilt my control arms using the Global West bushings and Spicer (Professional Grade #5051049) ball joints.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
What ^ said. If you dont have a Ball Joint Press Tool or cant rent one then just take it to a local shop, try to buy the best quality replacements you can afford.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
How much these press tools go for?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.