Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All: I have A problom with my headlight switch So I have to push it forward and then pull it back Till the headlights and the instrument panel light up. Ive replaced the switch with many so I dont think its the switch anymore. I heard about replacing the harness? Does anyone have any schematics, diagrams, Pics, links, as to what to cut, splice, replace, I would really appriciate anyones input I cant drive at night because after 5-10min The lights just go out. its a pian in the Ass.
Thx much im going to take a smoke break:lit_up

·
Registered
45,992 Posts
I don't have a diagram but I know the main wire to replace is yellow, it should be able to be seen because they overheat and blacken. I've had that problem and the switch is overheating. If you've replaced the switch before, it's definately the harness. The local Ford parts counter has the pigtail, you should be able to go in and ask for it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank You, I will definetly check that out hopefully it works.
if anyone wants to put in there two cents i would appriciate it
As well.

·
Super Moderator
40,152 Posts
i agree with Eagle,replace that pigtail as he said.

·
Registered
21 Posts
they sell a replacement plug kit I got mine at mustangs retoration if the wiring is not melted you can just remove the pins and replace into new plug the new plug is wire color correct

·
Registered
45,992 Posts
That's right, the wires just snap out of the plastic connector. Just make sure the female end is able to accept the male, that was one problem I had, it was crimped too tight and didn't allow the male to enter it. (sounds like a different non-car related problem doesn't it...)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thx fellas I went into a ford dealer and the M.R. couldnt find any thing so he refered me to year one So i.m Gonna try to fix the wire my self And see what happens But my question now is how much wire do i replace? and should I go bigger in guage?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey guys I just cheked out the harness and saw no yellow wire but there are brown with a strip, solid brown, and others, also when i pulled out the harness still attached and twisted the switch and harness It started making contact on and off as i twisted so Im going to keep probing and see if i can figure out the short out. also my car is originally a 1989 lx i dont know if the harnesses are any different.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
the yellowish brownish wire is the one that prob went out. i replaced mine with a bigger guage and everything works like new. i think it runs to the fuse panel.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.