Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have changed my fuel pump, the starter sleniod, the cap and rotor, the distributor modular, cleaned the spark plugs, but the engine won't turn u hear it trying to start it just won't turn.. HELP!

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
Hiya, welcome to the site. What car is it? Year? Model? Engine? Stock or modified? We have tech sections for every year car there is, check them out too.

·
Registered
44 Posts
battery, starter ??

·
Registered
95 Posts
U said the starter is engaged? Pull a plug and check for spark. Check fuel pressure by pressing in on the releif on the fuel rail (it will look like a tire nipple thing) Have you messed with anything since you last had it running or did it just stop? Timing? Check your injectors for operation.(im sure someone has a step by step injector check on here somewhere)

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
As mentioned above, check spark by pulling a plug wire. I use my extend a magnet pin and put the boot on it and put the end near the exhaust manifold. See spark. Not it.

Also, check your inertia switch if you are not gettign fuel (but you should hear the pump)

I am assuming by the engine not turning over, you mean you turn the key and nothign happens...then I suggest...

Check your battery post and clamps. Make sure they are clean... even if they look it, get a battery post cleaner (about $1.50 at an auto parts stor int he battery section) and clean the post and ring terminal, then re-install. This is if you are turnign the key, getting a click, but the starter just wont turn over.

Then follow both positive and negative battery cables and make sure they are connected well at their termination points.

Still nothing, take the battery and have it tested, Low charge... check alternator. If the alternator is good and you have a low charge. Charge battery, test again. If it fails replace, if its good time to start hunting electrical drains.

Now if the battery test good and alternator test good, its time to take the starter out. Its not easy, but it can be done with patients. Have it tested.

I woul figure at this point with all you have done you are going to find something wrong in this testing. If not post up your results and we can go from there.

I had a problem with my Bronco and My diesel not wanting to start because of the battery ring terminals.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
she is getting fuel trust me. since i changed the fuel pump. she was having a hard time staying on. and def isn't the battery.

·
Registered
44 Posts
do you have the right firing order ( i know its a stuiped question but id just recheck it for shits and giggles)?

·
Registered
88 Posts
if it cranks there are a couple of things it could be. how is your maf sensor? not necessarily something that would cause it to not start but just a guess. the map is a large factor as well. if you put a new fuel pump in it im guessing its getting fuel because injectors hardly ever die. to check that crank it over for a bit then take a spark plug out to see if its wet if yes then you have fuel so rule that out. the only other thing is spark so you replaced the tfi module?

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Fair enough, the battery may not be dead. You would be surprised how a corroded or oxidized terminal can cause you head aches.

There is a lot of good advice above, I suggest you try some of these things and post back your results and not just tell us that you know this and that is not bad without explaining why.

Oh and just because its new doesn't mean its good (any part, but especilly electrical ones). I used to work at a parts store and I learned that I would rather have a part off a car that has been working for 6 months than install somethign straight out of the box.

If you engine is turning over, but not firing its definately not the starter. Do some of the things above and post back so we can better help you.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.